Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Looking to buy a Honda. What is the Best Model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Honda. What is the Best Model?

hi I have a 06 rincon & a 07 700 polaris, the rincon has plenty of power but is not as powerful or fast as the popo,the popo is smoother { 2 cyl } compared to the rincons 1. The popo rides slightly better on a real rough trail,but the steering is a little more precise on the honda;the gas mileage is a little better also.There more storage on the popo by far,but is at least 100-150 LBS heavier. I like them both, but I seem to like to ride the popo better but the wife likes the rincon better,probably because it is lighter,she likes the mud I PULL her out .Looks like maybe I didn"t help much.I think the hondas may be a little hi priced for what u get. by the way were both near 60

Old 09-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What kind of problems have occured with the rincon? the rubicon? what do people dislike about them? thanks </end quote></div>

Well, the later Rincons have been pretty much totally reliable. Earlier ones had an issue with some O rings that could cause a loss of oil pressure. Rarely you hear about an oil pump drive chain coming off, but mostly just the typical wear/tear stuff.

The Rubicons are also known for reliability. You do see threads where the computer has put the transmission into limp mode, sometimes due to the angle sensor, or the shift motor, a bad connection, or whatever.

As far as what people dislike about them, as I noted above the Rincon is tall geared, and as a result you have to use the brakes on technical down hills because engine braking will only hold you down to about 12 on a really steep hill. Ride and handling are excellent.

With the Rubicon, it's biggest drawback for my book would be the SRA ride just doesn't match the smoothness of IRS, but then I do back to back all day fast riding in rough conditions.

Strength wise, the Rincon is an excellent handling, reliable machine with an outstanding ride going fast over rough trails.

The Rubicon's transmission is well suited to high torque/low speed situations, and I think is one of the best machines out there for towing, plowing, and dragging things. In those situations the SRA is an advantage because the heavy hitch weight of a trailer won't squat the suspension like it would an IRS machine.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: overthehillsgangATVer

I am interested in selling my 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 to get away from the belt. I would love to get a Honda.

1. What are the difference between models?

2.do all four wheels spin when you are in 4x4?

3. I know that all the models except for the rincon have stright axle. Is that a harsh ride? is one model more comfy than the other?

4. Does the Rincons IRS compare to polaris's?

5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks</end quote></div>

Except for the expensive 680 Rincon you will feel like you did a major down grade with any other Honda Utility ATV when comparing power and ride quality,which is all that matters when riding.

The 500 Rubicon is the best Honda has in its class and it comes dead last even against the 450s in this 500 class shootout.

500 Utility Comparison

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>While it handles well in most trail conditions, the suspension and brakes are badly in need of an update, regardless of how many Rubicons are sold. It would also benefit from a driveline upgrade to a locking differential to pull it through what its bottom-of-the-class ground clearance cannot. </end quote></div>

You just cant stay unchanged for years and not expect to get passed by.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

When you read magazine shootouts your still looking at the opinion of that very test rider, just the same as getting opinoins here. The features that matter to one person, do not matter to another.

Clearly you do not want a belt, and it dont really matter why if your trying to stay away from it. I'll give Polaris a great ride as IRS just beats SRA in that department, but to a buyer the Ride of a SRA bike may be more then adequate.

What I do like about Honda is the fit and finish of bodywork, switch gear and controls and the adjustments for controls. This really shows through when a bike gets to the 4, 5, 6 year old mark. The honda stays tight.

The current Polaris bikes seem to be miles ahead of the offerings from 2000-2001, but since they are new its still hard to tell how they will hold up. I was sitting on a used one at a dealer, it was a 2006 and the headlight switch was siezed and the plastics loose and rattling already so who knows.

I think you will be happy with a Honda, the rubicon is a great bike, if you can get the Canadian Trail Edition (it would be worth a cross border trip if you can swing it) you will have the best ride that can be bought for a SRA bike. I've ridden a dealer demo and the shocks/springs are unique to only that bike and cannot be bought seperatly (at least not when I enquired 2 years ago). If not the new 2009 Rancher 420 AT might be a great choice, a 5-speed auto with a car style tranny, technology that has been working in the automotive industry for years from everything to Civics to puck up trucks, IRS and liquid cooling.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well i own a honda recon and one of my freinds owns a 2006 honda foreman 500. About the all four wheel drive, all 4 tires spin when in the mudd or sand but whae it is under a great bind only one spins at a time. and the straight axle it is veyr nice, the foreman and up have two rear shocks on the axle. it is a very stable and smooth ride. And about the rincon if you get a honda get a foreman the rincon is the week link the drive shafts going to the tires alot of times break in a bind. Very strong bike