Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Never let friends drive ur atv...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never let friends drive ur atv...

I let my friend drive my honda 400 and she hit a tree full throttle....now the wheel moves back and forth along with the handle bars when i hit 30 mph, and the front grill is bent along with the other rods connected to it. Called the dealer and said they wouldn't bend it back and would have to replace it. Sound like a major fix? I would really like to get by with the minimum as I just trail ride, nothing too intense.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Take it to a metal working shop. Some places will straighten it then add gussetts over the damaged area to replace the strength in the part, you need to know what your doing though. Besides, who cares the cost, you break you pay....having damage like that should not be fixed on the cheap, the bike will be dangerous to ride.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

It looks to only be bent at the joints, there really is no bend in a straight part so that's why i was thinking they could just bend it back.

Thanks for the advice though, I guess she will be getting a bill.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, they usually bend at the joints, but thats where the strength needs to be. Get a quote on the repair from the dealer (who will use new parts) and a quote from a local shop who is capable of good quality welding. A fella here nailed a large rock at speed on his grizzley, the smaller shop was cheaper and did a great repair and the frame is probably stronger now then stock. At least its safe, you dont want a wheel or suspension arm to come off, nor do you want the steering to all of a sudden pull one way taking you off the trail.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I suppose you wouldn't have a ballpark cost for this....I haven't really had to have repairs done on any of my machines before, we always just bought new. I just don't want to pay more than I should be as there are not many atv shops where I live.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Do you have insurance on it? If you do and you have collision, it will pay for the repairs minus the deductable.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I do have insurance on it, but wasn't sure if it would cover since it was my friends, but how do they know who's driving. Also I don't want my rates to go up because my friend was in a crash. I'm hoping she will pitch in for damages.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you have loss insurance on the machine, it should still be covered if you let a friend ride it. Also if you don't have any other claims, one might not raise your rates.

I'd call your insurance person and ask...

Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Range Rover

So much of the frame is thin tubular steel. If it is bent very severely, you can lose the structural strength when you bend it back the other way. Many times it will break when you bend it back.

The only way you will know how much it costs is to have a repair shop give you a quote. Have them quote parts and labor separately.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Why pay for insurance in you're not going to use it?

Quick Reply: Never let friends drive ur atv...