Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher & Warn 2500

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received my Warn 2500 winch from atvpartsdepot.com today.

My question is there anything special in mounting the winch?
Did you guys mount the solenoid in the trunk of the Rancher?

thanks

Old 01-30-2001, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

Good question. I want to do the same thing and was wondering where to pull the wires, and put the solenoid etc....Guess I'll keep an eye for additional posts. Maybe you could post how long it took, difficulty and anything else after you install it. Thanks

Old 01-30-2001, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Bshiels,

I will post updates & any notes or thoughs about the process, including how long it takes.

Old 01-30-2001, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

I bought the same winch from the same place.Good deal! Mine is mounted on a rubicon, but maybe your setup is simular. I mounted it outside of the box on the right hand side on a metal plate I added. The plate mounted between the rear rack support and the frame extended upward above the frame gave me enough room to mount the solenoid and do the wiring. It has been on for a couple of months now and haven't had any problems with water,mud snow or sticks bothering the wires or solenoid even though it's mounted under the fender. My installation took 3 hours to do,however I changed the plastic plug and socket that came with kit to a microphone plug from Radio Shack. It screws together and required a smaller mounting hole than the one they supplied. Good luck let me know how you make out and how you mounted all your hardwear.

Old 01-30-2001, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

when i mounted my 2000lb winch, i had a rough time. i had to custom make the whole thing b/c the mount kit they gave me didn't work. anyway, when it came time to wire it up it was just as tricky. i messed aroung with that thing for like 2 hrs and finaly ended up not using the cellinoid. I just ran 2 wires from the battery and the two wires from the winch and hooked them into the switch. there is no diffrence in pulling power but the only thing is that it always has power to it but i don't mind it. let me know how it turns out

Old 01-31-2001, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

I just installed the Warn 2000 in my 01' Recon. I put the selonoid in the rear storage compartment (the top front part), Then I ran the wires along with all of the factory wires (following them from the battery up to the ignition) using lots of zip ties to secure them, the install looked pretty good once I was done, but it took about three hours and alot of patience.

Kraig9940
01' Recon

Old 01-31-2001, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

For what it's worth here's how I did mine. I mounted the MONSTORUS solenoid in the trunk. Just
Fastened it to the side opposite the tail pipe. (leaving enough room for the tool kit) Then I used a 1" hole saw and drilled a hole through the back of the box coming out just above the battery for routing the wiring.Then use sealing putty to plug the hole around the wires. It worked pretty good has not leaked yet. Then mounted the remote plug opposite side of my DC aux power Outlet. This was the hardest part for me trying to get my fingers in there. GOOD LUCK

Old 01-31-2001, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

My install wa similar to madmax's. I put it in the trunk and the remote plug on the side opposite of the accessory plug. Pictures are on my site. One thing to note is the trunk is NOT waterproof. We went riding on Satruday and I was going to check my plug yesterday. When I opened the trunk door, it was filled to the brim with water! Stinky, muddy water spilled all over me and the garage. Just wanted to warn you.

Old 01-31-2001, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

I didn't mean to suggest the box is water proof I agree it is not. I was thinking more in terms of rain water and such running in the hole.

Although if you don't Live in the continual rain state (Washington) you may not have to worry about that :-)

Old 02-02-2001, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

My dealer mounted the solenoid for my Warn 2000 under the seat, foward of air box, on the left side. I'm not sure its all too secure, but seems there is nowhere it can go as long as your seat is attached.

Quick Reply: Rancher & Warn 2500