Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda???? what were they thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda???? what were they thinking?

I've been very pleased with mine.

I've gone places and up climbs my SRA buddies couldn't.

I'm so extreem rider by any means and would rather a technical climb than a double table top jump. I also don't MX or moto cross it. When I do hit 4th and 5th gear though the IRS soaks up the nasty's and asks for more.

Is it the fastest.....no.

Is it fast...of course.

It does very well for which it was designed.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda says it designed this machine for the guy who rides a big bore(ing) utility, but also wants something more sporty that has a manual clutch. This is a technical trail sport quad! Great idea....it's just that they made it way to big and way to heavy! It will never be an "all-around" machine like the 400EX, Z400, or Raptor 700.

Plain and simple fact is.....Death Valley Reaper is responsible for giving terrible advice to his friend, and sticking him with the wrong (expensive!) machine! What was Honda thinking???? What were you thinking????

Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koopa

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

.... I liked the feeling of the machine.(other than the body roll) Nice smooth power, a true trail quad.</end quote></div>

Ya, I think it'd be a sweet trail machine and bet it'd handle some rough terrain. It's for the people who aren't into jumping and crazy stuff but, still want to go..go..go. Like the 30-40 age group who want to keep up with their crazy 15-19 year old kid on the 450.</end quote></div>
lol im almost 30 and ride a 300ex through the trails like a madman ..those kids can eat my dust lol ...the 700 xx looks cool and all .....but im a sport quad man ...rather have a 400ex,or 450r..oh excuse me thats been changed to 400x and 450x

Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Y2daT

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koopa

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

.... I liked the feeling of the machine.(other than the body roll) Nice smooth power, a true trail quad.</end quote></div>

Ya, I think it'd be a sweet trail machine and bet it'd handle some rough terrain. It's for the people who aren't into jumping and crazy stuff but, still want to go..go..go. Like the 30-40 age group who want to keep up with their crazy 15-19 year old kid on the 450.</end quote></div>

lol im almost 30 and ride a 300ex through the trails like a madman ...the 700 xx looks cool and all .....but im a sport quad man ...rather have a 400ex,or 450r..oh excuse me thats been changed to 400x and 450x</end quote></div>

The 300EX was the best tight trail sport quad I ever owned!!! Stupidly, I did not keep it. Now that my kids are bigger, it would be prefect for them!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

Way to big? For who? I'm 6'6" and those 400cc quads look kiddie sized and just aren't designed for someone 250 pounds. Having owned a 700xx for almost a year now I would recommend one to anyone who is a trail rider. It runs great, does great in the muddy rutted trails and mud holes, has great ground clearance and has the highest stock horsepower of any '08 sport quad.

As far as Death Valley's advice, in my opinion anything would be better than what the guy had before. Check the forums, even the Polaris owner's thing that their crap is falling apart. His observation on IRS always landing on the rear wheels speaks more to the person jumping the quad's lack of riding skill and not the balance of the quad. I've got a good bit of seat time on mine and I can land on any two tires I want and can tell you what they will be before I jump. No, I'm not the best rider, but I do know how to ride.

As far as it being an "all around machine" I believe you're wrong there too. The 400EX and Z400's (and those like them) are great entry quads and are what I started out on, but after a while I wanted more power and consistent reliability. I didn't have ANY reliability issues with my 400EX, and it performed very well for what it was but it was just too small and underpowered. My buddies all got 525XC's and Raptor 700r's and would complain about the "wait" (obvious play on words) of the 400EX. Again, I love, love love the 400EX; it's just not right for me. With that said though, there is no magic bullet in the quad world and one size does not fit all. Also so far of all the 700xx owners that I've talked to they all came from 450r's and not the utility segment so Honda's thinking may have been off if they indeed said "it designed this machine for the guy who rides a big bore utility, but also wants something more sporty that has a manual clutch."

Anyway, if you want an honest critical opinion of anything...ask me. If I own it I promise not to let any sort of owner loyalty get in the way. Everything I own scores on it's own merit and not conjuncture on my part.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Nicely said!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Red Rider

If it's something you can live with that's great for you, but is sure isn't the all-around ride for 95% of the folks out there.

100-150+ pounds heavier than the average sport quad. That may not be a big deal for someone who is use to a 700 pound utility, but not to sport quad riders. They will sell a few to the occasional unsuspecting victim like Death Valley's happless friend, but most folks (if they do their homework on this one) are going to say....no thanks.

Honda will be lucky if they can even caputre 5% of the market with this huge heavy highly specialized beast. .

Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

If it's something you can live with that's great for you, but is sure isn't the all-around ride for 95% of the folks out there.

Honda will be lucky if they can even caputre 5% of the market with this huge heavy highly specialized beast.</end quote></div>

There isn't anything that's all around for 95% of the people. The 400EX hasn't changed since like 99, which is probably the closest all around machine out there.

For me an all around machine = ability + durability + usability

The 700xx does very well in all.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Red Rider

Most "folks" who need IRS also could use 4wd, so they are going to pass this one up for a utility. From the pictures you have posted before, it looks like a good choice for you however.

It's just a machine with a very limited niche.

Quick Reply: Honda???? what were they thinking?