Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda???? what were they thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda???? what were they thinking?

So i convinced my buddy to get one of them new 700xx hondas, because his 500 outlaw and his predator felt like they had no power to him anymore. he wanted the honda before i talked to him but i told him if he wanted it and could afford it then he should get it.

So we start by taking it to a public recreational area to ride it, and after 30 minutes it started to sound like it was ratteling apart. he had it serviced on after we rode that day. a few days later we had it out again in asheville NC, and he decided to do some jumping. now my 525 outlaw and his outlaw 500 are also IRS and they jump just fine even tho the back ends are heavy so they always land rear tires first but not so much that you loose control of them in air or on the landing, they do decent when you get the hang of it... but this honda is way off balance. it would get good air but half way through the jump the rear end would fall out from under you. we practiced on it for days and it would handle differently every jump. and as far as power goes my buddy said his predator and outlaw feel more powerful on the holeshot and midrange, the 700xx only has top end. anybody who is thinking of buying these quads for sport please consider taking a different path, because you will be greatly dissapointed. for trails this may be a good quad but we were more intrested in sport riding.

Anyone else have any complaints about these new quads? because i really have nothing good to say about them, except they are comfortable to ride for moderatly long trips and they have a pretty good feel to them as far as suspension and ground clearence goes, but are not worthy of being called true sport quads... that is just my 2 cents...

Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

First off I'd say if you are more interested in sport riding than IRS is not the way to go at all. Single axle are way more fun IMO as well as lighter.

I don't have any seat time on the 700XX but, from what I've seen they look like tanks. I mean the things just seem huge. Weight wise I think they are only 50lbs difference in the 700 raptor and the 700xx (wet weight) but, they LOOK massive.

From what your saying and what I've read they don't seem to be much "Sport". I mean, if they can't handle jumps any better than that...geeze.
I guess they make good trail machines like you said but, sounds like the are more suitable quads for that too.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

How is the weight compared to your outlaw?I mean my scrambler almost has the same wet weight of the xx and if I jump it thats like having a death wish.It's a 500 + pound machine so I would'nt expect much for jumping.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did this topic several times when the XX first came out. If you had read them, I don't think you would have made the mistake of recommending it to your friend (to late now!).

This is a specialized machine that is best suited for rocky, rutted, eastern trails. That's about all it will ever be good for!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Wayne Matlock managed to win the Baja 1000 on the machine. It can be turned into a true racer. The only complaint I have with the one I rode was how much body roll there is.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Red Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

Wayne Matlock managed to win the Baja 1000 on the machine. It can be turned into a true racer. The only complaint I have with the one I rode was how much body roll there is.</end quote></div>

Uh, I think you mean Baja 500. The 2008 Baja 1000 doesn't happen for a couple weeks, Nov 20-23.

Last years Baja 1000 was won by a 450R....as usual!

http://www.off-road.com/dirtsp...ntextCategoryId=23964

And....the XX didn't win Vegas to Reno by the way.

Don't go making to much of any of this!

Team Honda always runs their new machines in Baja, just to prove they can go the distance. The XX is highly modified, and nothing like the stocker you would be riding if you made the terrible mistake of buying one for the desert. You can believe that those guys would rather be on a 450R, but they are getting paid to run the XX, so that's what they are on.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

My mistake I did mean the Baja 500, I never said the machine they ran was anything close to stock. I said it could be made into a racer. To each his own, what one person thinks is crap another thinks is gold. I liked the feeling of the machine.(other than the body roll) Nice smooth power, a true trail quad.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

.... I liked the feeling of the machine.(other than the body roll) Nice smooth power, a true trail quad.</end quote></div>

Ya, I think it'd be a sweet trail machine and bet it'd handle some rough terrain. It's for the people who aren't into jumping and crazy stuff but, still want to go..go..go. Like the 30-40 age group who want to keep up with their crazy 15-19 year old kid on the 450.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

The tires can be atributed to the body roll and no swaybar(I think) but the problem is the stock rims are deep wells not your normal run of the mill quad rim or tire.So when the machine came out the issue was the tire manufacturers were racing to get specially made tires and rims for a machine where the tires and rims would be exclusive to one machine!!Here is my proposal for the 700xx.Say screw it and start over.Drop 50 pounds and give it sra for now on a modified 400ex,or 450r frame,fully adjustable shocks all the way around,same motor,hydraulic clutch.T me that sounds like a keeper.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Red Rider

It does have a swaybar. I have always thought it ironic, that they put IRS on a machine, then find it has to much body roll, then have to install a swaybar to make it like a SRA again. In the end, all you get is a lot of useless iron weighing you down.

Quick Reply: Honda???? what were they thinking?