Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My New 400

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New 400

I picked up my first ATV on Friday. This is a 2002 400ex, that I bought for $1700, with ramps, an extra set of rear rims, white brothers pipe, and K&N air filter with outerwears air filter.

We took her out on Saturday for the first time to the Red River Motorcycle Club. What a blast! Anyway, I'm pleased with my new purchase, and ya'll will probably see alot of posts from me with dumb questions as I'm new to this sport.

So for my first dumb question, how should I treat the chain? I purchased a can of Maxima chain wax, which is what the guy at the local shop recommended. Any thoughts?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Default My New 400

Enjoy your new quad!Chain wax should do fine.I normally lubricate mine every 2 to 3 months.Also remember to grease all zerk fittings.Also thats a good deal for that quad and year.GET A HELMET!!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My New 400

Yep, I already got a helmet and gloves. I did that before the first ride. I still need to get some goggles and boots, then all the other goodies.

I've yet to see any zerk fittings on this bike. Are there particular fittings I should look for?

Also, I'm planning on doing an oil change soon. Any recommendations on brands or types of oil to use? I know this is a topic that is debated ad nauseum, but I have no clue.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My New 400

One more question. When the bike is idle, I can hear a "whirring" sound from the motor. Is this normal? I don't hear any clicks, it's got pretty clean oil, and doesn't smoke at all. I'm sure it's normal, but wanted to run it by ya'll.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Shapeshifter Rider
Default My New 400

I use high end crap like maxima.Look on the swingarm,the middle of the bottom a-arms,on top of the tierod where it meets the ball joint as far as that sound someone else should chime in on that because I really don't know.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default My New 400

You can look all over that thing but, there are no grease zerks on the EX. Not sure why Honda did it that way but, guess it don't need them.

As far as chain wax. I've read that regular ol' dubbya D 40 will work. Anyone have downfalls to this?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default My New 400

WD40 will work for a short time. If you are in a bind WD40 will work just fine. I don't recommend using it for long. You should lube your chain after every ride. I prefer chain oil over wax. The problem with wax is when your chain heats up the particles of sand stick to the wax. Get a candle nice and warm and then stick it in the dirt. The same thing will happen to the chain. Keep your ride as clean as possible, it looks better and when the motor is clean and free of gunk it runs cooler and better. It is better to over-lube your chain than not enough.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default My New 400

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

...The problem with wax is when your chain heats up the particles of sand stick to the wax. Get a candle nice and warm and then stick it in the dirt..</end quote></div>

I'll confirm that. We fight that at the dunes constantly.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My New 400

The area where I will probably ride the most is very sandy/dusty. I'm guessing I should avoid the wax then.

I don't really know the history of maintenance on this bike. It seems to be running tip top. Should I start using synthetic oil? How much oil do I get for a typical oil change? 2 quarts?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Shapeshifter Rider
Default My New 400

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koopa

You can look all over that thing but, there are no grease zerks on the EX. Not sure why Honda did it that way but, guess it don't need them.

As far as chain wax. I've read that regular ol' dubbya D 40 will work. Anyone have downfalls to this?</end quote></div>

Thats odd no fittings I wonder if they forgot and just winged it?