Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1992 TRX 200D Type II - Oil Change and Gas in Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 TRX 200D Type II - Oil Change and Gas in Air Box

Hey everyone. I am new and have a few questions about my trx 200. My dad gave it to me and I really only use it when deer and duck season comes along and haven't done much maintenance to it at all. Last week he was riding it at deer camp and he ran it out of gas. He put it to reserve but it wouldn't start. I went down this past weekend to hunt and got to messing with it and found about a 1/4 of a gallon of gas in the air filter box. Of course the air filter was ruined and was soaked with gas, which is why it wouldn't run. My question is, what would make that much gas get inside the air filter box? I was able to jerry-rig a rag and get it running again and kept looking for gas to drip back in there, but it never did. I have it home now as it needs a new chain and sprokets, an oil change, new air filter, and some other adjustments and stuff before it is ridden again.

Another question. What kind of oil should I use in this model? How much does it take and how do I change it? Thanks in advance for all of your help.......

Deuce

Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Range Rover

The gas in the box was with the carb float valve getting stuck open - either through wear or a piece of dirt holding it open. It should have flowed onto the ground through the overflow tube that hangs down from bottom of carb.
Clean out the carb - either with air and carb cleaner -- or strip down the carb
Use a 10/40 oil in the engine MAKE SURE GAS DIDN'T GET IN THE ENGINE ...if it did then flush the engine with clean oil and refill.
With lack of use it is only a small problem

Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I'll look to see why the gas didn't drain from under the carb. Since I took the old air filter out and cleaned the gas out, it has been running fine with no problems. I"ll check the oil when I change it to see if it has gas in it.

What brand of 10w-40 oil should I use? Any motor oil or do I need a special ATV oil? How many quarts does it take to fill er back up?

Thanks again........ Dave

Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want a motorcycle specific oil that is rated API SG/JASO MA. The SG insures that it has a descent high pressure/anti-wear additive package, and the MA insures that it does not contain any friction modifiers that will make your wet clutch slip.

In an old beater, I would run Maxima Premium which is an relatively inexpensive basic petroleum oil....Maxima has a monster additive package! If you can't find that, Honda GN4 should be available at any dealer.

Why you don't want to run car oil (not even in your car!):

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Another good motorcycle oil read:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html