Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

recon clutch not engaging right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recon clutch not engaging right?

ive got an 05 recon and i got it used with only 30-50 hours on it about 1.5 months ago. now its probably got around 80-100 hrs. when i first got it, it ran great and everything. and as of about 3 weeks ago, i noticed the clutch started to get slower to engaging. now, unless it is suhfficiently warmed up after riding it for a couple hours or so, the clutch seems to slip alot before it engages. it kinda acts like its halfway engaged. i can ride it great and all, and just be cruising in 3rd gear at about half throttle, and ill give it gas and it will rev up real quick and THEN it will engage, similar to starting in first gear in a stickshift car. it doesnt seem like there is anything really wrong with it, just not right. and i have tried to change the clutch at that nut and it wouldnt butdge at all, i even completely removed that nut and still no luck. any help?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

um..thats not good. i suppose your trying to do a clutch adjustment, chich is wat your problem is, and you completly removed the nut?well you have to break that skrew loose, if you have to use pb blaster make sure you change your oil afterwards. the nut simply keeps the flat head skrew at a certain length.

ther is a procedure for doing a clutch adjustment. loosen the nut then move the flat head skrew in(if i remember correctly) until it meets resistance. the skrew, via a spring and lever assembly, is tentioning your clutch. you just need more tention on your clutch and ther should be no more slipping!

please get a service manual, it makes little problems like that easy to figure out

Old 11-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

adjust the clutch should be in the owner manual......takes about 5 mins.......put some wd-40 on the nut till it turns

Old 11-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

i havent had this atv for long, but i know how clutches and all work. i read the manual, tried that and pushed so hard that the screwdriver came out of the screw and i bashed my hand into the metal bars, SOAKED the whole screw area in wd40, worked at it from different angles with different size drivers for about an hour and a half and still no joy... i know that the nut is on there to keep the set adjustment and i know that i just need to tighten the clutch a little bit, but as you can see, its not working at all. i also tried both directions and same results...
and from previously working on this machine, it seems to me that alot of the bolts on this thing are REALLY tight on there compared to the polaris.