Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex Headers

Do four wheelers headers get hotter than car headers?
i know this is a strange Question but was wondering if any one would know.
Thanks a lot

Old 12-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default 400ex Headers

I will give you a good solid maybe.
The EGT will be the same because jetting will determine that. But ATV headers are usually thin. This radiates the heat better so you feel the heat more. A car is usually thicker so it will hold the heat better and that takes out the end of the pipe better.

What are you trying to do?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400ex Headers

i wanted to paint my headers with that high temp paint but i didnt know if that would be a wise choice??
Whats the EGT?
I have a jet kit with a fmf exhaust if that will make a difference?
Thanks
but i need for help

Old 12-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Range Rover
Default 400ex Headers

If they're running wrong, they would. (i.e. lean)

Here's what the fuel ratios should be:

http://everything2.com...e/f.....2520mixture

</a>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Fuel-air mixture is one of the most important principles of internal combustion engine operation. For gasoline, the stoichiometric fuel-air ratio is 14.7:1. That is, 1 unit of fuel mass is consumed for every 14.7 units of air mass that are drawn into the engine. The stoichiometric is neither most fuel efficient nor delivers the most power; it is a compromise. The Stoichiometric ratio usually is the least polluting, because the catalytic converter can most easily remove pollutants at such a ratio. This mode is used during cruising and light acceleration.

For optimum power, a 12.7:1 (slightly fuel-rich) fuel-air ratio should be used. The latent heat of vaporization of the extra fuel cools down the combustion chamber, making the air more dense. Since this dense air is heavier than normal air, more fuel can be drawn in, increasing power. This cooling effect also protects engine parts from melting (if you are running very high temperatures), and lowers the octane requirement. However, it is not very fuel efficient, it can foul spark plugs, and is polluting (the catalytic converter is outside its optimum range, and VERY polluting unburned hydrocarbons are released). Modern cars usually only use this mode (called fuel enrichment mode) under hard acceleration.

For maximum fuel economy, a 16:1 (fuel-lean) fuel-air ratio should be used. However, the lack of extra fuel to cool the engine results in hot,less dense intake air, reducing power. Also, the extra heat puts stress on engine parts, and increases octane requirement. Although less polluting than fuel-rich, fuel-lean produces large amount of nitrogen oxides, as well as putting the catalytic converter out of its range. Lean mixtures are generally not used on modern, pollution-controlled vehicles. </end quote></div>

If it were too lean too much oxygen would be burnt, which burns hotter and is capable of damaging (see melting your engine)

So, to answer your question....maybe. Also being air cooled I would think that it wouldn't be able to regulate temperatures as would a water cooled motor.

Just stuff to think about.

(I think the paint would flake-off at the bend.)

Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default 400ex Headers

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>i wanted to paint my headers with that high temp paint but i didnt know if that would be a wise choice?? </end quote></div>
If jetted correctly you will be fine. I have painted countless pipes in my day. Get the 1,500 degree paint. The problem with paint is when mud gets on it, it will stain.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Whats the EGT? </end quote></div>
(E)xhaust (g)as (t)emp.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I have a jet kit with a fmf exhaust if that will make a difference? </end quote></div>
As stated above, if the jetting is correct you will be fine.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex Headers

Use the paint that is made to paint BBQs and stuff.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400ex Headers

So Gary your saying that if im too lean then the paint will keep in heat and could do damage to my engine?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400ex Headers

Stoopidbot .
your saying to use stove paint which is around 500 1200 degrees?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400ex Headers

Doctorturbo.
okay im going to look at what i set my jet kit to because i forget. Its standard to Ohio because i called to ask. but i will check and will post it

THANKS GUYS!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400ex Headers

If your jetting is still stock then it is set for sea level.

Quick Reply: 400ex Headers