Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250ex smokes with USED PRO CIRCUT PIPE

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250ex smokes with USED PRO CIRCUT PIPE

I just bought a used pro circut pipe for my honda 250ex...once i got it home and put it on it started smoking alot of bluish smoke?? i stuck my finger inside the pipe and touched the packing and my finger was covered in like gewy black nasty stuff. haha... also the guy i bought this from was parting out his 250ex becasue it smoked...so do i just need to get new packing? is that the problem? thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt it. How long did you run it before it started smoking. In your previous post you asked if you needed a re jet for the slip on. Just wondering if you ran it hard when it was too lean and took out the engine.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

well i havent had it too long...but it has mostly always had the bawfwl out and a UNI airfilter on it...i just got a slip on today and it smokes alot ever since i put it on......it did smoke a little before but thats just becasue it needs valve seals. so it was only at start up... (becasue when u turn it off the oil in the valves leaks into the cilinder... now after we put the pipe on it smokes all the time and ALOT....so i really think its the packing becasue its like full of oil and its burnin it??? thanks???

Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

oh... and today we just put a new oil pump in becasue the valves where ticking bad and mabye that has to do with the smoke??? more oil getting to the valves???? and we did a comp. test and it was 175 psi.. and the honda dealer said it would be ok if it was 150 so its not worn rings..

Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Well just switch the pipes and see if it goes back to the way it was. Smoke comes from the combustion process. You could fill the pipe with oil and it wouldn't smoke, it would just spit the oil out. I think in this case the smoke is something more in depth that the packing. If it ran just a few minutes hard under a very lean condition that would damage the motor. You would be surprised how fast you can blow a motor up. More oil getting to the valves wouldn't cause a burning oil condition. The seals keep it from getting past the valves.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

so....if the comp. is good what else would cause it to smoke??? only thing i can think of is valve seals.......i just think its odd that it smoked only at start up and when i put the pipe on it did alot all the time????

Old 01-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

WOW I TOTALY JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING!!!! when we got done putting the oil pump in we put new oil and and after we did that we had way,way to much in there.....would that cause it to smoke..this was around the same time i put the pipe on.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

It's possible. The engine can't breath the way its designed to and can suck oil out of the breather into the intake tract and result in burning oil. Not to mention the huge negative effect it has on the crank and rod bearings. But that is way too long of a post....

Old 01-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

ok..cool thanks

Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

It says used pipe. If the guy you got it from burned alot of oil there will be build up in the packing of the pipe that would burn off when it gets hot. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 250ex smokes with USED PRO CIRCUT PIPE