Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

how to bleed and install new brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to bleed and install new brake fluid

I have a TRX300 and have no idea how to remove the fluid and bleed the brakes. I had to replace the cylinders that the front brake shoes sit on. Can anyone tell me step by step how to do this. I am good at removing and replacing
worn out parts but that is about it. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I think the clutch is "dragging" it's a 1997 TRX300 Honda, do I increase or decrease the clutch adjustment? Thanks,

Old 01-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Manually, a person pumps the brake lever, then hold pressure on the brake lever while opening the bleeder screw. Air and/or brake fluid should come out and the brake lever will move closer to the bar. When the lever gets close to the bar, close the bleeder. Repeat, making sure to keep the brake fluid topped off, until only fluild and no air comes out of the bleeder. Do that for both wheels. It can be helpful to put a piece of clear tubing over the brake bleeder hose, into a jar with some brake fluid in it. That makes it easier to see the bubbles, and if you accidentially let off the brake lever before closing the bleeder, hopefully the bleeder won't draw as much air back in. Also of note, brake fluid eats paint.

I'd suggest getting or borrowing a Mity-Vac hand pump. You can hook that to the bleeder, pump up some vacuum, and open the bleeder to draw air and fluid out. You have to get a touch for how much vacuum to pump up, and how much to open the bleeder or you can easily suck all the fluid out of the resivor. Having an assistant with a bottle of brake fluid ready to pour in while you bleed makes things faster.

The vacuum pump really makes it much faster, and it gets all the air out the first time, every time.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much