Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

06 Rancher - Electric shift freezing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Rancher - Electric shift freezing

Besides drivng it out of water and snow, is there anything you can do to prevent it.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

place dielectric grease on the angle sensor and any/ALL electrical connections! clutch adjustmen will help, makeing sure its warm before you ride it, and using the proper weight oil: all of these things can contribute to the ES not shifting

Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cherokee99

place dielectric grease on the angle sensor and any/ALL electrical connections! clutch adjustmen will help, makeing sure its warm before you ride it, and using the proper weight oil: all of these things can contribute to the ES not shifting</end quote></div>

Was working great, but after about 2 hours in the snow, wet and cold, and later at night when the temperature went down to about -13, it started.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Trailblazer

Sometimes while your out riding and its working fine. It's all nice an hot and warmed up. you then shout it off in the garage with it being all snow an wet. the cold temp. will make things freeze up also, Best thing is if you have a heater or something to heat your garage then heat it good enough too evaporate the water from all components, before the temp freezes your machine.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Razr24

Sometimes while your out riding and its working fine. It's all nice an hot and warmed up. you then shout it off in the garage with it being all snow an wet. the cold temp. will make things freeze up also, Best thing is if you have a heater or something to heat your garage then heat it good enough too evaporate the water from all components, before the temp freezes your machine.</end quote></div>

Happens when driving, not after sitting.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This happens when out plowing, later at night? If you are running a winch a lot and also have headlights on, I wonder if low battery voltage could be the problen... What exactly does it do?

Anyway, using the winch a bunch will drain the battery, as it draws more than the alternator puts out. It takes quite a long time of running for it to bring a partly discharged battery back up.

If you think that might be the problem, I'd try putting a battery tender or some other automatic charger (not over 2 amps) on the machine when not in use.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

This happens when out plowing, later at night? If you are running a winch a lot and also have headlights on, I wonder if low battery voltage could be the problen... What exactly does it do?

Anyway, using the winch a bunch will drain the battery, as it draws more than the alternator puts out. It takes quite a long time of running for it to bring a partly discharged battery back up.

If you think that might be the problem, I'd try putting a battery tender or some other automatic charger (not over 2 amps) on the machine when not in use.</end quote></div>

You could be correct. We were winching and gettnig stuck in the deep snow.

I'll get him to try that and then post the difference.

When shifting it works fine, but once we you get up to higher speeds, won't shift at all.

And just found out the speedometer is not working!!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Does anyone have a PDF or digital copy of a manual for this?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Spedo not working? I wonder if you could have a bad vehicle speed sensor, perhaps responsible for both the loss of spedometer and shifting?

I don't have a manual for yours. Hopefully someone who can help you with that will chime in.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Flashing code 11? 11 straight slashes with no pause.

Quick Reply: 06 Rancher - Electric shift freezing