Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

04 Recon hard to start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Recon hard to start.

Theres several threads about this very subject...fact is...it's a fact. I learned the hard way, new batt., plug, and an oil change from hydrolockes to an over- filled sump. But, Oh-yeah, I still had starting issue's. Thats after a time sitting.

Finally a friend suggested turning the fuel off. This seemed to help, so, I turn the fuel off after every use...even if it's going to be an hour. I say "seemed to help" because after a week, say, theres still a thing about just the right idiosyncrasy of step's...mostly setting the throttle or pumping it a bit, with the choke on all the way out, with the fuel on and with short starting crank's. Maybe 4 rev's and off. Wait. 4 rev's and off. Wait.

This hard starting issue will happen when it's hot or cold after it's sat for a time. The longer it sits it's a bit worse. Still, one positive thing is I don't worry about it getting stolen, but I'm going to check one suggestion and thats the (whatever) under the carb plastic thing. (I can't find the specific reply-dammit) but maybe the IDE? Anyway, it's got a thick grease that can cause restrictions. All this being said...

I've just tried to be patient. Guess it comes with the model (stuffs starting to get way to much electronics). I've actually sat down and studied the electronic wiring diagrams trying to get a feel for how I'd go about jumping stuff..if something electronic decided to quit. So, hope this helps some newbies out there.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

As a follow-up, it's the IAC valve. Not the IDE.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

As a follow-up, it's the IAC valve. Not the IDE.