Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 4x4 ES or other???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 4x4 ES or other???

I've been shopping for a long time.
I found a 06' Foreman 500 4x4 14" rims, 27" swamplites, that was a steal of a deal, but b/c they guy was upside down, it fell through. He did let me ride it all weekend and I loved it. Was a beast of a fourwheeler!
Today I looked at a 08' Rancher 4x4 FI ES. Much smaller atv, but also lighter and more agile. I'm not able to open the little rancher up, but seems to have everybit as much pep as the 475 Foreman.
Opinions?
I'll be using for trail riding, deer hunting, and most of all, Duck hunting in nasty, wet, muddy woods...Ground clearance shouldn't be too big an issue w/ aftermarket wheels and 26" tires.
The way I figured it, even if I financed thru a bank, 3k will put my payments right at $93... So why not finance thru Honda, buy a new bike, put 1000 down and keep the payments less than $100?
Hell, I don't know what I want! But I know I want something now! Any advise would be great!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

I own a 07 420 rancher with 27s and 2" lift and I also own a 680 rincon with 26s. Both bikes do very well in muddy conditions, the only real advange the rincon has over the rancher is that the rincon is an alsome trail bike because it is such a smootth ride. I can go alot more places with my rancher because if you do get hung up in hole or rut you can throw it around. The rincon is like an ancor when it gets hung up I guess the soft susp has alot to do with that. I've also noticed a big diff when you double someone on the rincon you loose alot of groud clearence, but is still an awsome ride even though it does not have the low end grunt of the grizzlys and brute forces.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Rancher 420's are really nimble and snappy, and as you noted a bit physically smaller.

Unless you are running in mud all the time, I think on the Rancher I wouldn't go bigger than 25's as to not mess up the handling that is the machine's greatest draw.

As for the used one, if you are going to finance, you will get a better rate, and a warranty, on a new one. If you do decide to go new, I'd suggest going foot shift unless you really like the push buttons. Later ES systems seem to be better than the early ones, but there is just less to go wrong on the foot shift ones (especially if you are going into deep water or mud).

I'd also suggest trying to go more than $1000 down. Though Hondas do hold their value well, everything new depreciates somewhat when you drive it off the dealer's lot.

A good rule to live by: Never owe more on anything than you can sell it for. IE never finance anything if there is a chance that you would be upside down at any point during the term of the loan.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

Good advise. I'm actually an Insurance adjuster and know all too well about being upside down in a loan. Seems like all of the total losses I handle turn out that way.
I'm leaning more and more towards the Rancher. I like the ES better than foot shift, but understand you point about reliability.
With the Foreman running 27" tires, it had all the ground clearance I needed.
I'm trying to duplicate than w/ the Rancher. I'm not too concerned about the handling, anything will be better than the 91' Fourtrax I'm used to!
I've read about guys pulling 27" and 28" tires on the Rancher w/ no problems, however that's a bit much for me. The 24" stock tires and not near good enough, Still like the idea of 26", seems like a happy in between.
Just for fun, I did test drive the 09' Rancher w/ IRS. Silky smooth ride, but has ALOT of "roll" and feels top heavy due to the plush suspension. I much prefer the SRA, and it's in my price range.
I guess one of my hold ups, is the $600 extra for tires/wheels.
I would be happy w/ steel wheels and aftermarket tires, but the steel wheels are 11" on the rear. I want 12" all around. I could knock $400 or so off if they would work w/ me on the tires/wheels.
$5600 out the door, taxes and wheels/tires. Started at 4250, add 200 for es, 600 tires, taxes and -300 for cash back...Anyway, just can't make up my mind.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Range Rover

I have the foot shift no problems at all, the automatic to many people have problems they come on this forum or other forums and always say (My 420 ES does not work???) I don't trust does things. You want reliability get the foot shift. But hey its your money you do what you want with it. I speak from experience that's all.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the magazines was testing the Foremen, and they had a Rancher along at the same time. They said the Rancher was "more fun", so if you want to have fun that should tell you something.

On the other hand, loading the little Rancher down with huge tires will just ruin its sweet handling. If you genuinely need monster tires (for mud or just to feed your ego or whatever), then get a large machine than the Rancher.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer

I had 26s on my 420 and went to a 27. I did not see any difference in the way it drove the only time I see a difference with power is in the thick mud. I swamp mine every weekend a the only problems I've had is that I've snapped 2 front axles,but honda did have a recall on the boots ripping and locking the axle joint. I have an es model and would not own another foot ****. Its nothing worse than being in a sloppy hole and have to reach down to find a shifter. My rancer actually handled better after installing lift kit,but to keep the best power and handling you may want to go with 25s. I noticed a hugh diff with ground clearence when I went from 26s to 27s they just rubbed front fenders if you got in a tight bind.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Range Rover

I reach the shifter with my foot not my hands??? That's a lame excuse to get a es model, scared of mud??? For me that's the whole point of riding my ATV>>> getting it wet, mud, trail, and so on. Not everyone has issue with the ES model but a lot of people due have problems with ES crapping out on them. Can you say the same for the FM model (NO) And the only flaw you found was getting hands muddy by grabbing shifter VS ES taking a crap and not shifting??? I'll take the foot shift any day!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Range Rover

I really think that the Rancher 420 needs to have bigger tires than what it has,24s are factory but everything else in the 400 t0 450 class comes with 25s on it

Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

They should but what pissed me off was the front and rear rim size 12" front and 11" on back that's the only reason why I bought ITP rims.

Quick Reply: Rancher 4x4 ES or other???