Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

switchable 4wd-2wd rancher

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 01:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to use the Highlifter "ATV Locker" and the "Detriot unlocker" to make a Rancher 4x4, switchable from true 2wd and back to true 4wd?

The Detroit unlocker lets you switch into 2wd from 4wd. But the Rancher has a limited slip differential, so you only have 3 wheels grabbing the ground at any given time.
The ATV Locker locks the front differential to give you true 4wd. So my question is this:
Does the ATV Locker (differential lock) lock the front wheels like a solid axle, or is it dynamic, just locking when the drive shaft is turning? How does it work?

Is there a product that will work with the Detroit unlocker that will effectively make my Rancher switchable from true 4wd to true 2wd?

Old 02-09-2001, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

I have the same quesitons. A few more details are needed. If it truely does make a 4wd into a 2wd & it has a reasonable price, the Highlifter will sell a bunch of these.

Old 02-09-2001, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

The "Detroit Un-Locker" is a product that disengages the drive shaft between the transmission and the front differential. This means that no power will be sent to the front differential.

The "current" differential locker that HL offers will not fit in the rancher. There is another company that is coming out with one that will. A traditional locker, like the one you are mentioning, will lock the fronts together no matter what.

With this said, the "un-locker" and a traditional locker will give you true 4wd and 2wd. Now, steering will be harder in both modes since the front is allways locked.

HL is coming out with a new style of locker that will not cause the harder steering. I would wait until this comes out.

Old 02-09-2001, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks TEXMud...
That's exactly what I wanted to know.
I would really like to modify my Rancher to make it switchable (as many other Rancher owners are). But it doesn't really pay if the quad is just as hard to steer in 2wd mode as it is in 4wd mode.

What's the name of the new "differential locker"?

Old 02-09-2001, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have not heard the name of the new locker. I have gotten all my info from email and from chatting with the HL employees.

Old 02-09-2001, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is good news. Why doesn't Honda do this at the factory. They would sell alot more bikes.

Old 02-09-2001, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree. If I can spend $400-$500 on aftermarket parts that make my quad switchable, certainly Honda could add those parts on a $5400 machine, with only minimal cost.

Old 02-09-2001, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Be easiser just to buy a 400 Kodiak to get selectabe 2/4wd and they throw in 62cc extra,disk brakes and rad and water jacket to keep the motor cooled down.

Old 02-09-2001, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I could have bought a Yamaha. I have a friend who talked me into buying my Rancher. I researched all the brands, and I liked Honda the most. I later drove another friends yamaha and I quickly realized that I bought the right quad. The Yamaha vibrated badly, it handled poorly, and just "felt" flimsy. I don't want to offend anyone who owns one, but in my opinion the Hondas have a very solid feel in comparison. Not to mention, Hondas reputation for reliability.

Please don't take this post as an oppertunity to start a brand war... I am simply stating my opinion.

Old 02-09-2001, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Remember also the Kodiak uses traditional limited slip, where Honda uses the suretrack front differential. When I am in the snow I can see all four of my wheels spinning so why would you want to install the "locker" system? Just give me that "un-locker" system ASAP!! Then i'm still only into my quad $5500 compared to the Kodiak's $6200 price tag.

Quick Reply: switchable 4wd-2wd rancher