Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

420/Foreman 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420/Foreman 500

Hey guys. Been lurking for a couple of years. My first post. Guess I'm a Honda guy. Had an '85 250sx for 22 years (very solid trike). Sold it and bought an '07 Rancher 420FM with which I have been well pleased. I'm mainly a trail rider who encounters occasional mud holes. Considering purchasing an additional 420 or Foreman ('08 models) for companions to ride/tear up at deer camp.
Love the snappiness of the 420, but am considering the Foreman as I will occasionally pull a small boat/trailer. Lately I've read numerous threads (here and other sites) detailing seemingly inherent problems with both models. I've experienced occasional noises (whirring/rattling/popping) with my 420 as described by many of you, and am also somewhat concerned with water entering the rear differential, although I'm rarely in deep water. I've always considered the Foreman to be a proven/reliable machine, but recent threads have me concerned about losing gears. I wonder if this is due mainly to add-ons/oversized tires. Leaning toward another 420 as it more fun and almost $900 cheaper. Looking for some educated responses regarding the seemingly common problems mentioned above. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 420/Foreman 500

You have to realize that on forums very rare problems can seem common, because of the thousands of owners out there most don't post to say they have no problems, they only post when they need help with something.

The Rancher is indeed a very nice handling and snappy machine. I very much like my Foreman, and it has been trouble free. It's been in deep water/mud a few times and water has never gotten in the differential. I changed the oil in the axles at the two year mark, and the old stuff came out clean looking.

As for 1st gear, a lot of them I've seen have had clutch kits- that engage harder at higher RPM and/or really big tires. A rider can also abuse 1st gear by reving it up while holding the shifter up, then releasing it, effectively dumping the change clutch. I'm sure of the thousands of machines out there, there have probably been some that had problems w/o being abused or modified, but I think the vast majority have been trouble free.

The Foreman is a bit physically larger, and the engine seems tuned more for low/mid range torque, compared to the 420's.

I really like the combo I have, as IRS on the Rincon really rides well over rough choppy trails w/o being wallowy like some IRS machines can be.

If towing a trailer is your main objective, though, the Foreman would be a good choice. Hitch weight won't squat the suspension on a solid rear axle machine.

You should probably see if you can get a real ride on a Foreman. We all have our personal preferences, and only you can decide if you like it or not. I could have gotten another Foreman, but I thought if I was going to have 2 machines they may as well be different, and they do excel in different areas and offer a different riding experience.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Range Rover
Default 420/Foreman 500

The only issue I had with my 420 is water getting into my rear in and the right front bearing going out. That's it, no other issue so far and I have exactly 15 months with my 420 with no other issue but the diff and right front bearing. That's because I use to ride in water a lot, Not no more. Hey also try out Highlifter.com from my exp with this forum and Highlifter.com you'll get way more help!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420/Foreman 500

Thanks, Jeffin.
Reading recent posts about the same problems got me a little paranoid, but I agree that probably a vast majority of these two models are relatively trouble-free. I have ridden a friend's Foreman and was satisfied with it's performance and somewhat smoother ride. As you said, different machines would give me options for my varying objectives.
Amuro, those are the two problems with the 420 that I keep hearing about. The noise mine has made in the past sounds like a bearing, although I haven't heard it for quite some time. I occasionally take mine through relatively shallow water (18" or less), but so far have had no water in the differential.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default 420/Foreman 500

the foreman is a proven machine and very capable of work/play. the rancher is also a good machine. i prefer the foremn because i like a larger bike for my preferences.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420/Foreman 500

i have the 420 and a 500. the only real big difference that i like between the two is that the foreman has an actual u joint drive shaft. the drive shaft on the rancher cant take as much pressure as the foreman. i had the splines on on my drive shaft strip out and i had to replace the differential and shaft. the whole hting cost me about 350$.but i think that might be because i use my rancher like a jet ski. the foreman is a lot better for long rides or for hauling or towing.