Default What engine mods should I do?

Here's what I have so far:
aluminum bumper
dg nerfs
K&N filter
motionpro twist throttle
fly grips
protaper bars
new tires(stockers from my local 4wheeler shop)
drilled airbox
5 in. wheel spacers(I know...)
yoshi slip on
White race-cut maier plastics
verdepowersports.com's spider seat cover
Terry Cable dual gasser(Haven't installed it yet)

I would like to do some engine mods, but I don't want to have to use anything other than gas that can be bought at the pump. Also what (and where) is a "sprocket"? I keep hearing people say, "raise the back sprocket 2 and the front 1". I DON"T KNOW WHAT THAT EVEN IS!!! Also heard things about camshafts and "Port and Polish". Basically, I would appreciate if anyone could tell me what these are, what brands are the best to buy, and where to get them.
Thanks everybody

Old 02-16-2009 | 01:10 PM
Range Rover

Just buy the athena 440 kit. This will give you some power. You could get a aftermarket carb but then you will need some race fuel. Get the top of the line spark plug. Take the cover off your airbox. You will need to re jet it after this. You should gear it up by puting a larger sprocket int th rear(more teeth)and smaller in the front(less teeth)and that thing should be a wheelie machine. Should get a drag bar in the back so you dont flip it over.lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2009 | 01:29 PM
|
Range Rover

What are teeth?

Old 02-16-2009 | 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

teeth are the number of spikes on a sproket and the sprocket is located on the back axel in the middle...the chain runs on it. to find both sprokets just look to where the chain turns. by changing the number of teeth it will give u more accelrationg or more power

Old 02-16-2009 | 04:59 PM
|
Range Rover

How do I do this?

Old 02-16-2009 | 07:42 PM
Range Rover

Are you retarted. You buy your new sprocket, put the on, put the chin on, tighten the chain, sit on your quad, start itif you know how to do that) then drive. Was that very hard. You shouldnt be driving an atv if you dont know your quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2009 | 07:45 PM
Range Rover

I made a few grammar mistakes but you should get the point.

Old 02-17-2009 | 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

dammmm that was funny !!! " Are you retarded " remark just had me rolling on the floor.

Old 02-17-2009 | 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like your A CLASSIC rider that has more gumption than experience, Heres the deal, All that stuff that you have added take it off and sell it, put ALLyour stock stuff back on cause it didnt help you any what so ever, Spend 500.00 on a Nitrous Kit for it and you can stomp the living daylights out of any other machine out there. But pleaseeeeee dont ask me what Nitrous is. RP

Old 02-17-2009 | 01:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey, we all started learning about atv's at some point.

Changing the ratio of the size of the sprocket on the engine and the sprocket on the back axle can lower the overall gear ratio which generally results in stronger acceleration... Raising the ratio may increase top speed (if the engine has the power to pull it) and may also reduce engine RPM at a particular speed/gear.

To port and polish an engine refers to removing the engine head and using a die grinder (like a giant dremel tool) to clean up and reshape the intake and exhaust passages. To actually get much gain requires an experienced expert. Even then, IMHO, gains are modest, especially for the price.

Doing a big bore kit, replacing the cylinder and piston with aftermarket larger diameter ones will increase displacement. You would likely make a notable gain in power.

Snagging a factory service manual and reading it would be a good idea to get a grasp on how things work, and how to work on things.

Quick Reply: What engine mods should I do?