Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Warn Winch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009 | 07:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Warn Winch Problems

I have the warn 2500# winch and this winter when I was plowing, I sucked my plow up to far I believe and the rubber shock spacer got sucked up and somehow bent the bracket that the rollers are on. sorry if i'm not clear, its hard to describe.
But I brought the machine back to Tousley motor sports (Shitty dealer, don't buy from there) and said that there was nothing they can do even though the winch was less that 3 months old.
Also the cable on the winch is twisted and bent i found out when i un raveled (sp?) it, so i could sucked it back in neatly.

So. what should i do when it comes to the bent bracket, besides spending 100$ for a new bracket, and what should i do about the cable. Put a newer nicer stronger one on there?
Anything will help at this point

Thanks all
Kelso

Old 02-16-2009 | 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

I would look at ebay for your parts. As far as cable, I plan to go synthetic when I replace mine. I've heard nothing but good about them.....

Old 02-16-2009 | 09:27 PM
Range Rover

i just ordered a new synthetic for my vinson and will probably replace the rope on the ac with a synthetic when it wears out. i found it on ebay delivered for 49. 50' length. 1/4" thick blue amsteel. do you have any pics of the damage? are you talking about the roller fairlead?

Old 02-16-2009 | 09:40 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I've heard good things about synthetic rope, so that is most likely what I will go with but does it spool up the same since it seems to be a little thicker?
I do have a picture on the computer just not to sure how to upload it onto here. haha. The roller fairlead its self are fine, but the bracket that is bolted on that keeps the fairlead assembly vertical is bent up so the rollers are facing the sky.
hope thats clear lol

Old 02-16-2009 | 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Usually the roller fairlhead bolts to the end of the winch mount plate. You could probably remove the winch and mount plate, heat the mount plate and bend it back. Granted, that's likely to trash the powder coat finish.

Another option, KFI makes a very high quality mount plate for much less than the Warn equivelent.

Regarding the cable problem, you will find that it will have less of a tendency to rat nest if you run the cable out under tension while running the winch "out" (as opposed to putting it in freespool and pulling the cable out). When winching at an angle, cable can tend to stack on one side of the spool (called cable stacking) which can jamb up the winch, or even break the housing if you continue to try to power in.

Synthectic is better in both reguards, but you have to watch rocks, and generally have to replace the rollers with new if you upgrade. The rollers need to be smooth, or it will fray the synthetic stuff.

Lastly, I'd suggest you go out to a sporting goods store and buy a replacement keel roller for a boat trailer. They come in different colors (I think the black ones may be a bit tougher), come in different sizes, and are cheap. Cut the ends off, and put one on your winch cable. It will give you a nice solid rubber block, so you can run the winch in to where it keeps the cable snug so it won't tangle, without smashing the hook into the rollers.

Sometimes a photo does better. Here's a boat trailer roller.

If you look close in this photo, you can see a half roller installed on the XT30 on my Rincon.