Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda trx 450er

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda trx 450er

my buddy has a 07 trx450 quad.. and he was riding on the river last year and broke throught the ice so he toook it in and dealer went through everything and put new piston and stuff in...

and he has taken it back few times and they cant get it running right

the problem it dont want to start..turns over just wont fire..But if you pull start it with another atv it fires up and runs good....
another things is when trying to start with the starter.. it sounds sometimes like something internal in the engine is making noise

what could be causing it to do this??

Old 02-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Honda trx 450er

Sometimes when the compression is too low you can't start them with the starter but you can by pulling them.
Have him check the compression.
How long was it under water?
It shouldn't have needed all that work just because it was submerged in water for awhile.
Should have needed just a good flushing (multiple times) with new oil and filter and a fuel system cleaning.
Sounds like he was taken by the dealer.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default Honda trx 450er

the compression should be good they put new top end in it..but i will have him check that...

i doubt it was in the water more than 30 min

for gettin raped by dealer yes i am thinkin the same thing cuz he took it back there a few times already.... 90 percent of the dealers are the same!!!all they want is your money!!

it sometimes starts fine when using the starter... i think he said when its warm it dont wwant to start at all with starter just cranks over

Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Default Honda trx 450er

If it won't start when it's warm it could have something to do with the hot start button not functioning properly.
And it sounds like he was taken buy the dealer. No way should it have needed anything more than a fluid flushing if it was in the water for that short amount of time!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer
Default Honda trx 450er

wut and were is the hot start button???? never heard of it?? also wut else can it be way it sound hes gunna bring it over and let me work on it while he is gone so then i can see exactly wut it s doing...

Old 02-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Default Honda trx 450er

The hot start button is on the clutch side of the bars and is needed to start the 450R when it is warmed up.
You never want to push the throttle before or during starting the 450R, you will flood it instantly.
You need to use the hotstart button.
Something may be malfunctioning in the carb.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer
Default Honda trx 450er

would that cause it to this tho??even when you pull start it it fires right up?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default Honda trx 450er

also i never seen that on his atv it wouldnt be for the kick start model would it?? because like i said his is elec start

Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Default Honda trx 450er

Electric start or kick start, both have a hotstart button, ask your buddy about it, he would know.
Pull starting would start it a little easier w/o using the hot start but still wouldn't start right away.
Like I said before, check the compression. Just because the dealer rebuilt the top end does not mean that everything is correct. It could be that the valves aren't adjusted properly, it could be the rings are installed improperly.
If I were the owner of the quad I would go to the dealer and ask them why they replaced the piston just because it was in water.
After being submerged in water all he would have needed to do to get it started again was to drain the carb, get the water out of the air filter, drain the airbox and pull the spark plug and crank it over a few times to clear the water from the cylinder. It should have then started right up and he could changed the oils after getting the quad back home.
Did he try to start it without clearing the water out of the cylinder and carb? That could cause valve damage due to water being in the cylinder since water does not compress like air does.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda trx 450er

ill do a compression check when i get it... he said it dont have a hot start button

Quick Reply: Honda trx 450er