Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Pull start/brake/and voltage regulator Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull start/brake/and voltage regulator Q's

I am looking at buying a '01 Rancher ES 350 for a very good price. It has been used hard and definatly needs some work, but for the asking price of $1k, I think it'd be worth buying.

When I went to look at the bike the first time I tried pulling out the pull starter and the cord got stuck all the way out. It took a few sec to wind it back in. Is that something I should worry about? I breifly searched and found that if its removed and cleaned it'd should help.

Also, the rear brake lever is completly locked up. The rear wheels spin freely but the foot lever will NOT budge. Probably just need to be pulled apart and unseized/cleaned up?

And finally, the owner says it need a voltage regulator because the battery will not charge. He has to hook it up to a battery charger to get it started when it sits for a while. How much is a volatge regulator and do yall think that is most likely the problem?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull start/brake/and voltage regulator Q's

Well, the pull starter could be packed with mud/grit if it has been run in deep mud. This can hold the stuff against the crank seal and eventually take out the seal... and let debris into the engine. On the other hand it may just need taken apart.

The rear brake being locked up could be anything from the linkage, cable, or pivots in the brake.

Not charging could be the regulator/rectifier, or the alternator its self.

If it runs well, and there isn't anything else wrong (swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, transmission/clutch problems) maybe it would be worth making an offer on...