Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been drooling over this Quad forever now. I finally have the cash. Just need a little more for gear and stuff. Now last night my Bud tells me not to get it. If I ride with him and his friends, I am screwed. It is to slow to keep up, and will not corner and such, like theirs. Is this true? My Bud has one, and it seemed fine. All my friends have the Ex's and Scramblers and such. Will I be that Miserable around them? I want a Utility 4X4 more then a sport bike. Damn I wanna plow my driveway, and Cut my land out in Parkman, Ohio that has about 3 acres of field. The rest is woods. So Any feedack would help. I mean When i rode my friends, it seemed to handle fine, and seemed to have some zip to it. Maybe I am just out of date, and that is slow. I dunno.

Please let me know!

Old 02-13-2001, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Sure the EXs and 2wd Scamblers will get the lead on you until they come to the first mud section on the trail.Than you will have to drive around them or if there good friends you can throw them a tow rope to get them on the other side.

Old 02-13-2001, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah that is what one of em said. Told the others If he wants to get it let him. He can pull us all out. I just want to have fun. I don't want have to try and catch em all day.

Old 02-13-2001, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Rubicon and I can keep up with my friends who ride the following: warrior, scrambler 400, 300ex, modified foreman 450S, and another Rubicon. The sport machines leave me in certain sections, but you would be surprised how close you will stay, and I love the fact that I can drive through sections that they get stuck in. The sport riders in our group all gave us crap when we traded in our sport machines (2 300ex's and a warrior) for these utility quads, but they gained alot of respect after seeing how close we were to them on the first couple of rides. I will admit however, that riding a utility quad like a sport quad (jumping ,high speeds on rough sections, etc.) does wear you out quicker than the sport models, but it evens out when they wear themselves out trying to get out of a mudhole, or turn around without flipping on a steep hill they did not make it all the way up. It's all opinions and individual preference. I personally would like a 4x4 scrambler if it was more reliable.

Old 02-13-2001, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

You would rather have a Scrambler huh? Well that is what it is between. The Rubicon and the Scrambler. But My 5 or ten buds that Have Scramblers all said that you need to do a lot of Mod's to the Stock Scrambler. Dunno. Maybe just them. I am not a mechinanal person. I would have them do all of my work. I rolled my Bud's Scrambler last month, he didn't even care. Said He liked working on it. Gave him a chance to do some work. Ok. Me I would have been mad even if it was my own!!!

I am pretty sure I will get the Rubicon. It is only like 30 or so pounds more then the Scrambler. So what the heck..

I want it for other reasons also. To plow with in the winters!!

Old 02-13-2001, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, Dinkorban1, if your buds won't ride with you because you get the Ruby, just get new buds! I'll ride with you, and since I have a Ruby, I'm pretty sure we won't have any problems keeping up with each other.
Either way, get the bike that makes YOU happy, not the one that is okay with your buds. Unless they're the ones paying for it. The Ruby will be perfect for what you're describing, and like someone else previously mentioned, you'll be suprised at the pace the Ruby can maintain.

Old 02-13-2001, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah thanks. We can ride any Time. Where is London?? I will check it out and see where it is!! You will be the first one I call. Where do you ride in Ohio, or anywhere for that matter? I am planning on going whenever I can. I used to have yamaha Exciter Jet boat, But I sold it. I used to spend 3 days a week playing with that. Not any more. Now it is all time to be spent on my New Toy. Plus I am trying to get my brother in law to Get one. He has always wanted one, and that way i will always have someone to go with!

Old 02-14-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

You say you're not a mechanical person so I would not get the scrambler. It will require more frequent maintenance then the Ruby. As far as handling goes, I've had no trouble in keeping up with a warrior.

Old 02-14-2001, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

Kewl Thanks. I am a mechanical person, just don't know it yet!! I have been a computer technician for 10 years now. I would like to learn Mechanical also. Now is the perfect time to learn. And I have heard that the Scrambler need quit a bit more attention then others!!

Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2001, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im wondering how many of these guys that are telling you not to get the Scrambler because it requires more frequent maintenance,really owned a Scrambler?Or maybe their best friends mothers brother in law said he heard it from his dads moms 2nd cousin?I dont know!!!!
Bill

Quick Reply: Rubicon Or Not?