Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Parking brake blockoff kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Parking brake blockoff kit?

Hello everyone, again. I know I have been posting questions lately, due to me being new to atv aftermarket parts and accessories, but I was paging through a magazine and it was giving ideas on low cost upgrades for 400ex's and one of them mentioned a parking brake block off kit was a good upgrade to get ride of that almost useless parking brake, I don't even use it. So I wanted to see if anyone else has done this to a 400ex, or any other quad at that, and how difficult is it to do. For the price of a blockoff kit, I seems like that would be a great thing to do but just wanted peoples input. What do you think??? Also, do kits give you a clutch lever? I know it may sound like a stupid question, I just am trying to understand what they are all about. Thanks everyone!!!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

very easy to do.first thing take all parking brake stuff off.instl park block plate with a little silicone for no water intrusion.clutch lever i have a MSR quick adjust very nice very cheap you can find them for around 30.00 bucks.take off old lever and perch.there are 2 wires for the stock clutch perch just connect them 2 together with butt connectors seal them up your ready to go.the quad will not start with out them wires connected.and will start without clutch pulled in even in gear so be aware of that.let me know when your done!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by moto134
very easy to do.first thing take all parking brake stuff off.instl park block plate with a little silicone for no water intrusion.clutch lever i have a MSR quick adjust very nice very cheap you can find them for around 30.00 bucks.take off old lever and perch.there are 2 wires for the stock clutch perch just connect them 2 together with butt connectors seal them up your ready to go.the quad will not start with out them wires connected.and will start without clutch pulled in even in gear so be aware of that.let me know when your done!!!
Okay cool! That sounds like a pretty simple switch *knock on wood*. I am going to have to buy the parts sometime this week when I got time.

Oh for the clutch lever, is there one you can buy that allows you to reconnect the two wires on the perch, or do you have to butt the connectors together?

I hopefully am going to do this, this weekend, its suppost to be beautiful up in Michigan, which would be nice considereing there was snow on the ground last week lol.

Thank you for your post moto! I appreciate your help!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Range Rover

yes its very easy. recently did my 300 and 400ex. i didnt cut n splice the wires though. i just zip tied the switch out of the way. keeping the switch wont allow it to start in gear though. but i feel its safer. its to easy to forget if your in gear and try starting it. not the end of the world if so, probaly hard on the starter though. Also found a EZ pull lever on ebay for 15buks shipped. all this defintely cleaned the bar area up.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by gsjeepxr
yes its very easy. recently did my 300 and 400ex. i didnt cut n splice the wires though. i just zip tied the switch out of the way. keeping the switch wont allow it to start in gear though. but i feel its safer. its to easy to forget if your in gear and try starting it. not the end of the world if so, probaly hard on the starter though. Also found a EZ pull lever on ebay for 15buks shipped. all this defintely cleaned the bar area up.
Cool Thanks! This sounds like a easy mod! I hopefully am going to buy the pieces this week and get it done this weekend. I am looking around on ebay for the best prices on clutch levers and blockoff . Couldn't you, though, just take the parking brake cable off the stock perch and keep the clutch cable on. I know the parking brake lever would be really loose, but could you do that or no?

I think I am just going to get a new clutch lever but just trying to pose another option for anyone else looking to do something similar. Thanks again!