Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need help with motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with motor

I have a 350 rancher 2001 it started smoking a lil and has just got worse does anyone think i need to go thur the whole motor or just fixs the problem if u think i needto rebiuld what kinda parts do i need to put back in it to give it more power anyones comment will help thanks

Old 04-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is it smoking mostly at start-up, or a bit all the time?

Anyway, it is likely either coming from valve guides, or rings.

Since you are going to have to have the head off anyway, take the cylinder and piston to a competent machine shop. They will be able to measure the cylinder front to rear and side to side in several places. This will tell you if it is within spec, or if it is tapered/worn/out of round and needs to be rebored. If it does need to be rebored, they can tell you how bad it is, and how big of an upsized piston you will need.

Valve guide wise, if you took the head in they can probably tell you promptly if the guide to stem clearance is OK, and how the valve face and seat are doing.

When you are done, it should restore power to like new. If you meant you want more than that, a higher compression piston may be available, but the 350 Rancher's biggest strength is its run-forever reliability- which might go away if you start adding power parts. (IE if you want more power, you might be better off getting a bigger machine).

Jeff

Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

yea your just gonna need a top end job. can be fairly simple but it always seems like once your in there you start finding things to replace which can get pricey. hopefully just your rings are beat. get it honed and new rings, gasket kit etc.
power wise to stay reliable like mentioned id look into a hot cam and port the intake and port n polish the xhaust. could also add a hi flow filter and pipe.