Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

300ex axle carrier... NEED assistance

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300ex axle carrier... NEED assistance

ive got everything greased up. the carrier is in place but i cant get the axle to slide all the way in until the sprocket meets the carrier. the last 1/4 or so wont go in. theres a ring right next to the sprocket that i believe slips in the carrier seal but i just cant get it to go in. anyone know what im doing wrong or have any tips?

also should i grease the exterior of the carrier, where it sits in the swingarm?

and is there suppose to be a bolt in the bottom of the swingarm, middle of the carrier. theres a threaded hole but empty. same for my 400 except theres 2 empty holes.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 PM
no1
Trailblazer

I have only had my 300ex for about 8 weeks now so Iam kinda new to working on them. I do know there should be a bolt on the bottom of the swing arm, middle of the carrier ( mine is still there). As for grease on the exterior of the carrier. I have never seen anyone put grease there before and Iam not shure how it would benifit the carrier. If anything I think it cause you some problems. I replaced my axle a few weeks ago. When I took the axle out I do not recall any rings or seals on the sproket side of the axle so they probably go in the carrier.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

just curious why it might be a bad idea to grease the outside of the carrier? it was a little rusty in there.
and the ring im refering to is actually part of the axle. theres a ring tight to the sprocket a little over 1/4 in. looks like it should go inside the carrier dust rings. but it dont wanna go and i dont wanna ruin the seals. i cant get the sprocket to butt up to the adjuster ring.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

also the carrier i got came pre assembled. with a grease fitting. i just fill it untill its starts seeping out correct?
and the bolt on the bottom, whats thier purpose? strange my 3 and 400 are missing them....do they just plug the whole? or put pressure on the carrier? but then itd need to be loosened to tighten the chain?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

it says in my repair manual that you tap the axle into place, mine just slide in so i didnt have to do that but you might have to. the bolt you are talking about is a stopper for the carrier so it doesnt spin 360 deg.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

i wounder how hard to tap. i tried pushing pretty hard with no luck. and can i just get any bolt thatl fit and run it in the hole underneath? and 2 for the 400 correct?

also on the xploded view pics on bikebandit, it showed 2 o-rings, 1 on each side of the carrier but i dont recall removing any when i pulled it apart, although the whole thing was chewed up. Not the dust rings, thier fine just curious what o-rings thier talking about.

the sprocket should butt right up to the carrier correct? my 400 is that way so i fugured the 300s the same. it looks like it needs to go in the carrier further but jus wont go. could it be the wrong carrier? it went in smoothly though.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
no1
Trailblazer

I would not put grease on the out side of the carrier because grease is a dirt and sand magnet. Maby just clean the rust off then prime and paint. I went and took a look at my axle today. It looks like the back of the sproket butts up to the carrier. I would check the numbers to make sure you have the proper carrier. Is the axle stock? When you fill the carrier with grease I usually just pump the grease gun until grease starts to come out or I will stop when it gets hard to pump the grease gun.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

The bolt is a stop bolt. It stops you from turing the carrier too far in either direction. You need it. Get one. Without it, you will get water and dirt in the axle.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Range Rover

yea stock axle. and the part number matches. it looks like it should go, its just super tight. everything else slid right in. axle slides right in untill that point. it does have a couple splinters around the surface, could that be keeping it from sliding in the dust cap.

also whats the aprox length on that bolt underneath?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

anyone know the length on the bolt in swingarm to limit carrier spin?

also a spring popped out of the carrier when installing, whats its purpose? and can a aftermarker carrier be repacked?