Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda recon 250 2005

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda recon 250 2005

I was riding the other day down a trail full of water and ran into a deep hole along the way, I heared water suck into the engine, sure enough it did, but water didnt enter the tail pipe neither the snorkal.

Any ideas?

Well i got it to the truck and drained the oil 3 times with new. Started up and the engine and it had a slight pinging sound and now it smokes.

Anyone maybe able to tell me whats wrong, Im thinking i have to replace the head which may have cracked due to the water.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default I figured it out

Muddy water came in through the hose that connects the engine to the air filter, came off somehow and didn't realize it.

Took it to a guy and said muddy water entered directly into the engine and more than likely
mud is sitting in there and may have to tear the whole engine down and replace all the bearings and a new crank and a few other things which can range around 1000 bucks.

Lessen learned: Check your bike before you ride out especially in muddy water.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

shouldnt have got that much mud inside. id think you prob just gonna need to do a top end job. usualy u can get the bottom cleaned out. more oil will come out when you rip it apart. that way youd be sure there no junk in there. if itl run now just with a ping i wouldnt rip the bottom end apart. unless once you removed the top end and noticed something unordinary. but i doubt it. prob gonna just need a rehone and new rings.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default gsjeepxr

Just got it out of the shop today, he rebuilt my top end, bored it 50 over, new pistons and rings and a few other things , while he was in there he saw some sand in the bottom so he used a air compressor with diesel and loosen it up and ran diesel through there quite a few times and cleaned it out .

He told me to ride it a few hours with low rpms and change the oil every 2 hours about 3 or 4 times to make sure if anything was stuck inside the crevices.

He also cleaned my engine with some stuff called spoke aluminum cleaner , spray on rinse off, i didn't think it was my same bike. Some good stuff but cant find it online but he told me which auto parts store to get it from.

He recommended 20w 50 Castrol GTX since its fixing to be warmer.

Said Castrol meets all the standards and believes its better than Honda oil.

Runs a lot better than it did before no noises and no smoke so far, we will have to see .

Also got that hose on there with a hose clamp this time , LOL.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

If your mechanic recommended Castrol GTX for use in a motorcycle type engine, I'd question his knowledge about motorcycle engine rebuilds. Everyone, ESPECIALLY an engine builder knows car and motorcycle oils are not interchangeable. Car oil contains friction modifiers and will damage wet clutches. Motorcycle specific oil does not contain this. You want to use a motorcycle oil rated "MA" on the back of the container.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

I'd say ya got hosed on the rebuild. No way riding thru a puddle would get sand in the lower end. It would hafta go by the rings. I'm calling him out on that B.S.

Ron
ol'fart

Old 05-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Since it smoked after sucking mud into the engine, I'd say it's very possible sand got in the lower end. The walls should have been scored pretty bad, thus making the engine smoke. But 50 over seems excessive on a first time overbore.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

It wasn't a puddle , it was water up to my head lights. He showed me the pistons, they were scored bad.

Ive changed the oil once since then and left my hand under when it comes out been pretty clean. Still shows some water but very little im gonna change it every 2 hours of riding. It seems as if its still comming out of the crevices.

I believe that's what he said. He said that 50 over was bout 2 to 2.5 hp more is all , does that sound bout right for 50 overbore.

What would you recommend for first time overbore.

Is is problematic to bore the big the first time.

Been running great this far.

This bike is just to hold me over till i get a brute force in a few months.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

the problem with going .50 over is there isnt any more to bore over! your next rebuild will cost even more.

i

Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Patton228
It wasn't a puddle , it was water up to my head lights. He showed me the pistons, they were scored bad.

I believe that's what he said. He said that 50 over was bout 2 to 2.5 hp more is all , does that sound bout right for 50 overbore.
What "pistons" did he show you? "They" is not possible on a single cylinder engine. Him saying you're getting a 2.5hp gain is total BS on a straight rebuild/overbore for a 229cc recon engine. The thing only makes 15hp STOCK!! People are barely getting 2.5hp with a 400cc engine with a overbore and a cam.

Quick Reply: Honda recon 250 2005