Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

switching types of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blends are rip offs they contain 10% synthetic at most, might as well mix your own 50/50 blend up yourself.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

First off.....so notice that I said "probably contain friction modifiers"!
LMAO:
A statement like that deserves a statement like:
Maxima Premium might blow your engine up because I have seen many engines blown up with synthetic oils in them.

The bottom line with Rotella, is that there are 100 better choices out there!
100% bovine feces. Name them. On this forum, list the
100 oils.

That's why I mentioned Maxima Premium....for guys like you! It is a reasonably priced petroleum oil ($4.50 a liter around here), and it has an additive package that is probably 5X more robust than reformulated/downgraded Rotella. Better yet Maxima Blend which is only about $1 more and comparable in price to GN4.
Again, bovine feces. Prove that Rotella Maxima Premium is 5x better than Rotella. Prove it with facts. Show me the additive package in Rotella and then show me that Maxima Premium has 5x that package.

Honda specs its own GN4 which is a basic inexpensive nothing special petroleum oil. They also spec their HP4, which is just GN4 thankfully fortified with some ester (but not HP4M with moly...it is only intended for the engine side of the beautiful 450R!). They also have a new full synthetic (in the red bottle), but I don't have any info on its composition. Most likely it is PAO (guessing based on the price ???).
So why not recomend inexpensive nothing special petroleum oil? If it's good enough for Honda engineers.........
Or do you "think" you know more than Honda engineers?

BTW, I'm still waiting on your dyno charts on your quad that prove synthetic oils can make "many HP more" than conventional oils. Remember I want dyno charts on "your" quad at the same RPM.

Bottom line is this. How good is that expensive synthetic oil going to be with just a few oz of water in it? (happens all the time with some of the forum members on here)

Old 05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I see it, I have 9 quads and bikes which represent a substantial investment. I also have two big trucks and several trailers to haul them all around, so again a substantial investment. I never buy any vehicle used!

A guy who has one quad or bike can afford to take a chance trying out some cheapo oil that he knows nothing about. If he makes a mistake and ends up with shortened engine life or a loss in preformance, his loss won't be anything compared to mine. For me, I'm not leaving anything up to chance. I'm a medical researcher/medical school teacher, so I have taken more chemistry than I can even remember. Believe me, I known what good quality lubrication is at the molecular level (charge esters that act like little magnets)!

I ran Maxima Extra beginning about 10 years ago. I have run Redline in my trucks all along, so when they came out with motorcycle oil a couple years ago, I switched to it. A bunch of my quads are 10 years old now, with many thousands of miles on them (individually, not combined!). Every engine runs as good as the day it was new. That's good enough insurance for me, to justify running the best ester synthetics I can find regardless of price!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
The way I see it, I have 9 quads and bikes which represent a substantial investment. I also have two big trucks and several trailers to haul them all around, so again a substantial investment. I never buy any vehicle used!
Cool; since your talking about mine is bigger than yours: I have over 90 cylinders at my house. Several turbo charged, 1 supercharged, 1 turbocharged and nitrous water/alcohol enhanced, most naturally aspirated. Some two some four stroke. Several of these engines my livelyhood depends on them running. Just like 95% of the truckers in the US I depend on Rotella dino oil and it has never let me down.

A guy who has one quad or bike can afford to take a chance trying out some cheapo oil that he knows nothing about. If he makes a mistake and ends up with shortened engine life or a loss in preformance, his loss won't be anything compared to mine. For me, I'm not leaving anything up to chance. I'm a medical researcher/medical school teacher, so I have taken more chemistry than I can even remember. Believe me, I known what good quality lubrication is at the molecular level (charge esters that act like little magnets)!
Your a school teacher and know chemistry; again cool.

I don't know a damn thing about chemistry. I build engines, race cars and crewchief for three cars. Just set a track record two weeks ago. Never had an oil related failure on any engine I have ever had. One or two uses the substandard Mobil 1 you talk about; most use Rotella 15/40.
I see a lot of your type at the track. Lots of money and a real pretty car. I'm the guy with very little money that puts you on the trailer in the first round. If I ever have a medical condition I will look you up.

I ran Maxima Extra beginning about 10 years ago. I have run Redline in my trucks all along, so when they came out with motorcycle oil a couple years ago, I switched to it. A bunch of my quads are 10 years old now, with many thousands of miles on them (individually, not combined!). Every engine runs as good as the day it was new. That's good enough insurance for me, to justify running the best ester synthetics I can find regardless of price!!!
Mighty flawed thinking IMHO. Some of those 90 cylinders I talked about above were made in the 50's and 60's. One has over 10,000 hours on it and runs like new with only old fashion Rotella run through it. The valve cover has never been off of it. Thousands of miles is brand new to me.

Of course your big buck oil should be flawless; look at what it costs.
It's the guy that runs the buck a quart bulk oil in a turbo/nitrous engine and make it live is the person I admire.

I will be waiting for my dyno chart and oil list from you, along with if you think you know more than a Honda engineer. Remember, Honda recomends DINO OIL!!

BTW; how many oil analysis have you ever preformed on your oil?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Red Rider

I talk tech with oil company guys all the time. Know what they tell me? They would all love to market higher quality products....but the market will not support it! Just because you can buy $1.50/quart Group I Spiffylube, doesn't mean that it is the standard by which all other oil prices should be judged.....but that is the way the simple minded public thinks!

What they are admitting to here, is that they aren't selling you the best possibe oil that they could produce, but they are selling you something that they know is a downgrade....in order to meet a price point!!! Personally, I choose to give my business only to those few companies that choose to not compromise their products, even though that means a higher price and fewer sales.

You guys can continue to take the ugly girl to the prom....but I will stick with ESTER and her "great additive package"....thanks!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

What they are admitting to here, is that they aren't selling you the best possibe oil that they could produce, but they are selling you something that they know is a downgrade....in order to meet a price point!!! Personally, I choose to give my business only to those few companies that choose to not compromise their products, even though that means a higher price and fewer sales.
Good for you, that's your privilege.
But when you start throwing around unsubstantiated BS I will call you on it.

Now, back to the questions I would like you to answer:

Does Honda engineers recomend an "ester" synthetic oil in ANY of their quad engines?
Even in their all out race engines?
If not, and you do recomend it, do you think you know more about oil and engineering than they do? If so, what engine and please show documentation.

What happens to that fancy oil when it gets contaminated with dirt or water? Will it save the engine?

When are you going to supply the "100" list of oils that are better than Rotella or the dyno charts that show your synthetic oil makes a lot more power than a dino oil?

What is the oldest car, truck, quad, engine, ect you have and how many miles/hours on it?

How many races have you won with your quads, cars ect?

How many track records have you set with your quads, cars ect?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

ill bet they dont recomend a dam diesel oil either!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

bet they dont recomend a dam diesel oil either!!!
You would be incorrect. At least in the case of Kawasaki. My manual states API SF, SG; API SH, or SJ with JASO MA. (I don't have my Honda manual because I sold it many years ago.)
This can be good old dam dino diesel oil as you call it because it meets all of the above spec's. They make no mention of synthetic oil at all because regular dino oil meets engineering spec for them.

News flash: The engineers are the people that designed and built your quad. Do you think you know more about oil then they do also?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

wow thats a lot of bashing going on about oil. but no one seems to be bitching that oil has gone up over 100% since i bought my 05 400ex brand new. i think its all a crock of $H!T. something has to be done about the "big oil" companies. they make RECORD BILLION DOLLAR PROFITS. MEANING>>> if they cut their prices in HALF they would instead of $100 BILLION IN PROFIT they would make a measly 50 BILLION!!!!! $4+/gallon of gas is a crock of crap. i dont care whats happening in other countries that pay up near $8/gallon. WE'RE LEGAL US CITIZENS ((most of us) i know i am). just wait til this "bad economy" turns around gas will be right back up and beyond what it was before. as far as i can tell this economy is only bad in one area, which is the biggest scam! THE STOCK MARKET... and the banks are tightening up because they dont want anyone to get ahead in life. so i guess what im getting at is i will just pony up the dough for the same $H!T i have been getting $5/quart(which someone said "thats not bad" B.S... its a good way to get DEKCUF with that attitude. i know im sick of over paying for everything to do with oil, or anything for that matter a $700 exhaust for a wheeler..WTF is that?? i hate to see what it would cost if they only made 1 exhaust and everyone owned one... hopefully the oil companies realize that they caused this "bad economy" i know i stopped going anywhere when it cost me over $100 to fill my truck. like i said i will just go with the honda oils, it will save all of you from thinking your JOHNSON is bigger than his. you are fighting online about what? what a bunch of crap. by the way i can see you guys manginas....

Old 05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by Leroy400ex
wow thats a lot of bashing going on about oil. but no one seems to be bitching that oil has gone up over 100% since i bought my 05 400ex brand new. i think its all a crock of $H!T. something has to be done about the "big oil" companies.
ESTERS are synthesized by chemists in white lab coats. They are NOT made from nasty filthy stuff pumped out of the ground. By that definition, they aren't even "oil", so I'm not giving anything away to any "big oil companies" like the rest of you (except when I buy gas!!!!).

But....I am wise enough to own a $h**load of stock in those very profitable "big oil companies"! So, thanks guys!

Quick Reply: switching types of oil?