Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Anyone own a trx 700?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hondarider450r
Skid plates are the heaviest replacement part you typically install. You're putting, in most cases, pieces of 1/4" think aluminum in place of next to no weight plastic. Add the full chassis and swing arm plates together and it equal a about 30lbs. Nerfs weigh around 15-20lbs. A Arm skids front and rear 20+lbs. Take the Honda 450r front bumper and replace it with something better and I promise you it weighs more. There's hardly any weight to the stock bumper. So you see how you can easily add 50+lbs to your ATV and not even realize it.
Wow....what nerfs have you used? 20lbs?

My nerfs don't even weigh 10 pounds together....they are aluminum and nylon, they weigh nothing....

As far as skids? Well the quad comes with skids to begin with. And the aluminum is only a hair heavier than the plastic stock ones you are taking off..... I run full stock skids on my z400 and I ride in some rocks up here in NY state.....

But really this is all semantics......The 700xx is obviously a nice machine with a typically strong Honda following. Personally, I with they offered a SRA version for guys like me who don't like IRS on a sport machine. We all have our preferences, and they are all personal. As they say "let your freak flag fly" and ride what you like.......

The question is, if someone gave you 10K and said go buy what you want.....what would you buy?

The answer to that question is going to be different from everyone........ some of us would go to Polaris and buy a new 850xp, some of us would go to Yamaha and get a YFZ450-R, maybe a couple would go to Honda and get the 700xx.......Outlaws, Raptors, King Quads, Brute Force etc....etc....... soooo many choices........

Personally I'd probably go to Suzuki and buy a Quad Racer 450 and use the rest of the cash to Yoshimura the heck out of it...... but how many here would make that exact same choice?

Its what makes the world go around.....we need to embrace our differences while offering our opinions....

Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss97
Wow....what nerfs have you used? 20lbs? My nerfs don't even weigh 10 pounds together....they are aluminum and nylon, they weigh nothing....
These Amazon.com: 400EX 400 EX PRO ARMOR XC NERF BARS HEEL GUARDS: Automotive Checkout the weight.....18 LBS!! You don't realize how heavy the parts you add to your quad until you see the numbers. Of course if you buy cheap, thin stuff it'll weigh less. But the average weight of these parts are much heavier than you think.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These Amazon.com: 400EX 400 EX PRO ARMOR XC NERF BARS HEEL GUARDS: Automotive Checkout the weight.....18 LBS!! You don't realize how heavy the parts you add to your quad until you see the numbers. Of course if you buy cheap, thin stuff it'll weigh less. But the average weight of these parts are much heavier than you think.
thats because 1 its not just nerfs thats heel guard also on those, and 2 those are thicker then most of em.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well yeah with heel guards....but again you are taking off stock heel guards which are not any lighter even if they are plastic. They are generally reinforced with steel brackets which evens it out.

The stock parts are often much heavier than aftermarket stuff you are replacing it with. For the most part every time you replace a stock part, it is with a lighter aftermarket part.....there are few parts that get bolted on where there was nothing there before.