Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

88 4x4 Foreman 350 PLEASE ASSIST

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 4x4 Foreman 350 PLEASE ASSIST

I'll just say I'm new to ATV's but I hope I can get this thing fixed easily. I have a 1988 Foreman 4x4 350, It looks good and ran great until about a week ago it began sputtering and stalling out. It only happens after about 20-30 minutes of riding, so I thought it was getting too hot, I hadn't noticed the fan kick on in a while. But the oil temp light has never turned on, I spoke what a local dealer, he said it would have to get pretty hot to start shutting down and for he light to come on. I have seen the fan on at least once since I've had it.

I'm cleaning the carb, replacing the air filter and spark plug, other than that I don't know what to do other than follow the manual's troubleshooting tips like checking compression, checking oil temp sensor, testing continuity. I figured I'd get on here and see if anyone has had something similar. Again, it runs well after about 20 minutes of riding, then it sputters and shuts down and stays that way until the next day. As I attempt to restart it turns over and turns over but only keeps running if I peg the throttle.

I did change the oil, I put in 10w-40, that's the right oil right?

If anyone can throw in a shred of experience or recommendation I would appreciate it.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the fuel vent lines and test the fuel pump but neither would have to sit until the next day to re-start .. Even a bad CDI that quit when it got hot wouldn't have to sit a day , it would start after the bike cooled off ..

Here are the vent & fuel pump test ..

vent
================================================== =====================

================================================== =====================
Fuel pump test

================================================== ======================

Old 07-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

It was the spark plug, runs great now, no problem. I anticipate future adjustments and malfunctions which are inevitable so thanks for the test diagrams.

Moral: Allways start with the most basic repair or adjustment first because I was ready to start tearing it apart. I don't even think the plug that was in it was the right one for it. But I did find out it desprately needed an air filter, that thing was a mess.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, does anyone know where I can find a headlight for my atv? the large detachable one. I have checked around and I am not going to pay $100 or more for it, its just a light. If I have to I will make a light out of a spot light or something. ebay has a couple grubby ones that don't look too reliable, dont have the case for the light either so I'd have to find that. Thanks in advance for any links or recommendations.