Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Dale Earnhart dies in accident at 500 !

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this incident will make NASCAR open it's eyes to the fact that you cannot let drivers own or have major interest in other cars in the same race. This a major conflict of interest that even my wife (who cares nothing about NASCAR) was able to see. It was obvious during the race that Dale was concentrating more on blocking other drivers from getting to his two lead cars than winning the race. And any time you have someone so close to the front who is not trying to win you have an accident waiting to happen.

It was a tragic death that did not need to happen.

Old 02-19-2001, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

When are these people going to learn ? that is the fourth death in nascar in the past 10 months . I am not much of a nascar fan but I have always known he was the best .

Old 02-19-2001, 12:19 PM
Range Rover

Very sad, This should bring to mind the importance of safety equipment in every sport. The last three drivers have died from the same injury (base neck fracture). If he had worn that HANS (head and neck safety) resraint. NASCAR should make it manditory to wear the HANS and full face helmet. He also died doing what he loved and not in a nursing home soiling himself... Man that news hurts, be careful guys.

Old 02-19-2001, 01:39 PM
Range Rover

SpringDRL!!!! You've said it!!!! Instead of concentrating on what's behind you??? How about looking in front of you!!! Yes, I believe he was a accident waiting to happen. Instead of worrying about his 2 cars!! How about him taking the lead and possible winning the 500 again. The guy was dancing all day with death at almost 200mph!!! And death took him and sadly left his family, friends, and his fans behind in shock and sadness!!!

Old 02-19-2001, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I watched Dale and his son win the Daytona 24 hour race a couple weeks ago. At the time I remember thinking that it takes a lot of guts to be a racing family in light of the Petty familie's tragedy last year. At the end of the 24 hour race one of the commentators made a remark about Dale's apparent lack of concern about wearing proper head protection. While he was saying this, they showed Dale with his open face helmet and no neck brace. In other auto racing you have to wear a full face helmet AND neck brace. I don't know if he had the proper protective gear on or not when he died, but it would be a real shame if he didn't.

Old 02-19-2001, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Very sad...He was my favourite NASCAR driver too.

I heard he was suppose to have a helmet strap on that connects to the seat but he didn't want it on because it would take away from his view...so that's what killed him I guess....his head rocked back and forth and that broke his neck.

I want to buy some #3 stickers and put them on my ATV....anyone else going to do this??

Old 02-19-2001, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

well i sure am gonna do it cause i have one from the past nascar race i went to the pepsi 400 at daytona at night some of you cant believe he died by just that crash which didnt look that bad but until you go to a superspeedway and see how fast they are actually goin you cant fully understand. fotunattly i was lucky enough to see dale win a race which was the last talladega 500. he will be greatlly missed and we can only pray for his family friends and us the fans. nascar will go on but it will never be the same again. and i am gonna make a shrine to dale with all my dale hats and shirts pics and posters to remeber the greatest driver that ever raced in the great sport called NASCAR. god bless

Old 02-19-2001, 10:48 PM
Range Rover

I can't beleive this has happened....How in the world could nascar be the same? He has been around the longest..that's horrible that this has happened...America is at a lost...We lost one of the most favorite and awesomest race car drivers...The last person I would have thought to die..would be DALE EARNHARDT!...DA*N IT!!!...I would have never have figured him to go already.....how sad...GOD BLESS him...I'll prey for Him, his family, all his friends....and everyone who loved him...... .....later guys....

P.S. On CNN 10EST; there goin to talk about DALE.

"THE INTEMIDATOR"....will be missed..

Old 02-19-2001, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

I was reading these with my husband who is a major NASCAR fan, and this just set me off. To those of you who happen to think that Dale's accident was because he was "blocking" the other drivers, you obviously did not watch the race close enough. If you will watch the re-plays, you will see that his car was bumped by Sterling Martin. As for not letting the racers own / manage cars and drivers, are you nuts? The only way NASCAR has become what it is today is because the drivers have made it their life, and if you were any kind of fan you would know that. Plus, have you not watched much racing? All drivers block for their team drivers, wether they own the cars or not. Rubbing is Racing. This time it just happened to have a tragic ending which none of us will ever forget. Peace be with his family and fans in this time of mourning. God bless NASCAR and may they NEVER enforce any of the stupidity that I have heard today. If they do, it will be the end of car racing as we know it. Now, lets all root for JR. to win the Winston Cup for his daddy this year, as it would have been SR.'s 8th cup.

Old 02-19-2001, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Dale was my favorite racer!I was at a loss when I heard the news.At first I thought it was horrible mistake then I saw it on espn2 and I almost broke into tears!

I think he died because of what he didn't like.Restrictor plates!yes it slows the cars down but it also brings them real close togother and makes it more dangerous.Sure maybe if he would have wore a full face or a hans he might have lived.But when you hit a wall almost head on at 185mph it is going to kill you!

I send my deepest thought's to his family!

Quick Reply: Dale Earnhart dies in accident at 500 !