Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

350x vs 400ex drag race

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350x vs 400ex drag race

We recently took my sons quad to the local quad drags . Its a yamaha warrior frame with a 1986 350x Honda motor . The motor is bored .10 over with a 10.25 to 1 wiseco piston . The head has been ported . It has a 400ex carb and exhaust on it . He is ruuning 13/38 gearring with 20" tires from a kfx 400 . The first race he lost to a 400ex with a 416 kit with a pipe on it . He hooked up hard at the line and pulled a wheelie and lost by 15 feet on a 300 foot track . Second race he caught a good light against another 400ex with a aftermarket pipe and maybe some motor work I dont know I didnt get a chance to talk to him . Anyway he won by 5 feet give or take a few . Last race he faced the same guy from the first race (only 3 quads in the bracket?) He got a better light this time but lost by 2 quad lenghts . We are going back on August 8th . Hope to do a little better next time . We didnt get a chance to practice last time we got there too late . If he gets a better start I think he might beat the 416ex . I hope he gets to race a 400z next time I would like to know how he would do . We are going to play around a little with the gearring and see how it does . Everyone is always saying this and that about who would win between the two so I thought i would put my two cents in . it was on a dirt drag stip with a chrismas tree for starting . i have listed everything my sons bike had done to it and everthing I know about the 400ex and yes the guy ridding the 400ex knew what he was doing . I had a 350x three wheeler back in the early nineties and I know it would outrun my sons bike he has now but you cant race against a memory . lol . Has Anyone else raced a 350x against some newer quads ? And be honest I'm just curios . I will post again after we race Aug 7th and the county fair and Aug 8th after we race at dirt country again thanks

Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

Getting geared up for the next quad drag . Last season the later drags were cancelled . This year my son will be drag racing the same bike from last year a warrior frame with a 1986 350x honda motor . Engine mods include .10 over wiseco 10.25 to 1 piston with some head work done . A 400ex carb and exhaust . I made a mistake on my last post his gearring is 13/40 with 20" tires . I have been building my 300ex . I tried to build a 300ex motor but was not happy with the power . I bored it .80 over with a 11 to 1 piston and an aftermarket cam . So I sold the motor and bought a 350x engine . Mine is just a stock bore and piston but it puls the 300ex great . I also have the 350x swingarm and rear shock in my 300ex . With 400ex A arms . I put a 400ex carb and built a 2 into 1 exhaust for it out of a 450r exhaust pipe . I run a 20" tire and my gearring is 12/36 which equals 3.00 a 13/40 equals 3.08.
I see alot of posts on here about drag racing and thought this thread would get alot more replies . But here goes my two cents .
Someone posted that a warrior would outrun a 350x . I have a 2003 warrior with a supertrapp exhaust and a k/n filter and a 350x will absolutely spank it its not even close . Thats with the 350x motor in a quad frame . They are alot faster in the three wheeler frame . I read another post that said a 330kit on a 300ex would outrun a 350x . I have yet to race one but I doubt that it would . A stock 350x motor is 27hp with 21 ft lbs of torque . Thats with an 8.5 to 1 piston . Top speed from the factory is listed at 74 mph. I dont think a 330 motor is even close to that . If I race a 330x and get beat I will post an apology . I have seen a stock 300ex and a stock 350 warrior race both bikes were almost new and the 300ex beat the warrior everytime . A warrior is a very heavy bike . Thats why I bought my wife one . They are a little harder to wheelie but are a very stable bike .
This year I hope to race a kfx 400 I would like to know how I would do . I will be racing at dirtcountry in Blanchester Ohio on june 19th . I will post the results and give any info about the bikes I race . Thats if people will tell me . Whats the big secret ? I dont know . I tell everybody what my bike has . Run what you brung and hope its enough .

Thanks for reading my post

Old 06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm not the only one?

Hey its good to know I'm not the only one who drag races. If you ever get a chance you should come to little sandy raceway in grayson ky. there are a lot of bracket 2 bikes to race. The 330ex people are telling you about is a professional built motor just for drags. I've seen them beat a stock 400ex. The good thing is they're high dollar motors so most people don't spend that much on a 300ex. So what kind of times are you running out there.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

I wont know until the 19th of June. I saw one post that said a 330ex with a aftermarket cam and head work and a Hi rev cdi box would out run a 350x . But you would have $1200.00 in the motor . What are you racing ? Do you have a website for other quad drags? I know they race at sheltons drag strip down in Lexington but thats at least a 2 1/2 hour trip for us one way .

Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah its not worth spending the money to make a 330 run fast. somebody would be better off getting a fast bike and do a few cheap mods and make it faster. At little sandy raceway they have 2 brackets, pro class is anything that will run 300 feet under 5.5 seconds, and bracket 2 is 5.5 and slower. I run a 450r in bracket 2. its best run so far was 5.733 @55 mph. I've got a stretched Banshee with a Polaris snow mobile 600 triple triple motor. it runs 4.398 @ 77 mph. Thats the only track I really race at, but in Wayne, WV they have a 525 foot track. You would have to re gear for that one. Planet Sand is also a good place to get info on tracks. Let me know what you find.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Trailblazer

I would love to have a Banshee. But I am leanning toward buying a 1986 250r atc . My brother had one back in the mid 90s and he wouldnt drag race it so I did . I beat alot of bikes with it . I was racing at Haspin acres in Indiana . They have a drag strip But they dont have it organized you just pull up and race who you want . One day I was racing a banshee when about half tracked I was past by a guy on a yz490 . He went by me like I was sitting still. I would like to have a motor like that on a atc . I want another atc so I can attend the three wheeler fest at Haspin acres . I have owned three a 250r ,a 250 tri-z and a 350x three wheeler . I think I liked the honda 250r the best . But the prices on old atc's is crazy right now .

Old 07-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer
Thumbs up

The June 19th quad drags at Dirt Country raceway were rained out . Welcome to S.W. Ohio . The next drag race will be at the Preble County fair in Eaton Ohio Aug. 2nd . Its part of the Wolfe Bros Racing circuit . I will be running in the 350cc and under 4 stroke class .Maybe I will be able to run against a 330ex ? The only bike I think will outrun me would be a 350x atc . They are a lot faster in a three wheeler frame . I would rather run against 400cc bikes but the next higher class is 500cc and under . I plan to get there early and race as many times at practice as I can . I will try to post some results after the races . Dirt country has rescheduled their drags for Sat Aug the 7th . I will be running against the 400s in this race and will post results if it does not rain again thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

The 330ex people are telling you about is a professional built motor just for drags. I've seen them beat a stock 400ex. The good thing is they're high dollar motors so most people don't spend that much on a 300ex. So what kind of times are you running out there.

-------------------------------------------------
Used Auto Parts
Used Car Parts

Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know I don't have a Honda and I'm not thread jacking. I just found this site and heard about quad drags in eaton. Is there a class I can enter my 700 raptor in? How longs the track and is it dirt. What's class rules I'm sure I wouldn't be racing you guys.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

yes they have a 700cc 4stroke class . go to wolfe bros racing or you can go to the preble county fair website . The cost is $10.00 to race and you have to pay to get in the fair . Next weekend the quad drags are at dirt country its not too far away . I will be racing a mopar sublime green 300ex with black plastic look me up at the race . Yes its a dirt track 300ft long with a xmas tree start . Back to the other post . I am sure someone could build a 330ex and outrun other quads . But some post suggests that all you have to do is install a 330 kit and a cam and you are good to go . My 300ex motor was bored 80 over with a cam and a ported head with a hi rev cdi box and my sons quad out ran it . Like I said in my other posts if I get out run by a 300ex I will post an apology and if possible I will find out all the details of the engine . Maybe some of the comments about drag racing against other bikes is across a long field . That would be decided with gearing as well as motor work . Same thing with a 300ft drag witch is what most places run . I have a 12 tooth front and a 36 rear sprocket . I can take off in second gear and my bike wont be wound out by the 300 ft mark .I might hit 6th gear by the end of the track . For a longer race I would run a 13 tooth or maybe a 14 tooth front for more top end speed . Thanks for reading my post

Quick Reply: 350x vs 400ex drag race