Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

delima please advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009 | 10:03 PM
Range Rover

The biggest concern that I have is how much abuse has this machine taken? My 04 Rancher has never had the kind of issues similar to what you mentioned. To have those issues means someone has severely abused this machine and I question how many more problems are going to show up as you use it. Example if tie rods are bad, then this machine has ran into objects that do not move and stress the tie rods. So how much stress has the rest of the frame structure had? Personally, I would get rid of it and move on.

However, if you are not able to afford to move on, I think I would fix the safety related items such as the tie rods, etc. That way you could use it safely. The other items listed could be done later or never done. That is ride it until it quits instead of putting large sums of money into it.

Old 08-02-2009 | 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, its kinda a craps roll, personally i would do as much as i can myself, there is nothing to loose, buy books and go on the net, take your time, an engine is something you can take apart, lay your parts out left to right, as long as you put them back in the right order and have no spare parts left it will run, if you have 2900+ for someone to do it then go ahead, but like i said, doing it yourself will cut the cost atleast in half and well you will learn the same time. you already said you wouldnt sell it to anyone, so give the dice a roll and get your hands gressy, worse case sernio, it will be afamily project!!! good luck, and as someone else posted, let it just be a lesson learned and get a Mac. check it before paying, anyone says that they ride 4 wheelers easy and they never raced them or did anything stupid, are full of @#$% hehehe you buy one to have fun, not to stare at it in the garage hehehe anyways im rambling, it how i see it though ...

Just my 2 cents

GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-03-2009 | 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

I still say dump it. You can spend that money, but unless you replace 100% of the moving parts on that bike, and make sure the frame is straight, your going to have trouble. You run the risk of being brokend down in the middle of nowhere, and spending more time fixing it then repairing it.

Hondas are great bikes, and can hold up to alot of abuse/misuse, but this one has been beaten/neglected too much.

There are lots of other parts on that bike you haven't mentioned your going to replace that can fail. This includes both diferentials, the rear driveshaft (when my rear shaft failed it took out the motor too, so you could spend money rebuilding your motor to have it destroyed by another abused part), front CV axles and so on.

Old 08-03-2009 | 09:12 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Sorry for your misfortune.

I would be willing to bet that even after the repairs this will not be the reliable ATV that you are hoping for.

Once a money pit always a money pit, its been beat and abused all its life.

I hope everything turns out in your favor.