Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

cleaning atv

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning atv

what do you use to get your atv looking like new again, i cant get the stains out of the black mud guards and floor boards

Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

I go by the old saying, you don't buy them to polish them.

That said, I do clean it. I use dish soap in my pressure washer, seems to do the trick. If you really want it to look good, pull out some armor all and use that to polish it up.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

to prevent that you have to wash it after every ride,thats what i do! i dont spray my quad with pam cooking spray or anything like that and it always looks good.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago and got some very helpful hints.
After some time pondering the different tips and experimenting with different products, I came up with my formula for cleaning the stains and the overall plastic.

I use an auto car wash soap for cleaning. Spray bike with water, soap down and scrub with a soft auto wash brush, then rinse with a good spray nozzle throughly. Then dry with towel. After it has set and dryed well, I have found that a good (Meguires) auto trim (rubber and Plastic) cleaner and shine work well on the plastic. Use liberally.

Still I am disappointed in the fading and marring of the Honda plastic. However when it happens to get real bad, think I will just change the plastic, maybe even a change of color, it isn't that expensive to do.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Banned

i changed the plastics on my foreman 400 from green to red and it costed 250 for the front and 250 for the back from honda, it was a big mistake because that bike is now my beater quad and it faded again

Old 08-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

My plastics are well faded on my 1998 Yellow Foreman, its kept inside with teh exception of 4 months one summer while I built a new shed, and when its parked outside during outings, trips.

I'm 99% finished installing a Camoflouge Wrap from camowraps.com. Its a great product and a cheaper way to make your bike look new and unique. I opted for the Natural Gear pattern for my bike, its the same on Honda Uses on the current camoflouge bikes.

As for cleaning, I use car wash soap to wash off the majority, and simple green for stains.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have found a product called plastic gloss made by nova industries. You spray it on and leave it. It makes your plastic look brand new. The scratches are still there but not visable and it shines better then brand new. Also it forms a barrier so that the next time you clean your bike the mud and dirt just falls off. Highly recomend it. It's made up here in Canada so you know it's good. Here is the link. nova fluids

Old 08-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by tramp
I have found that a good (Meguires) auto trim (rubber and Plastic) cleaner and shine work well on the plastic. Use liberally.

Still I am disappointed in the fading and marring of the Honda plastic. However when it happens to get real bad, think I will just change the plastic, maybe even a change of color, it isn't that expensive to do.
I work at an auto detailing chemical supply company. We supply Ferrari and other top notch companies with cleaning chemicals. Some of the best on the market.

There is a chemical called Wizards Products Store :: Automotive :: Appearance Products :: Black Renew 8 oz Wizards Black Renew. It is not our line so I'm not trying to push our stuff. It is amazing stuff. it cleans and restores the plastic just like Meguires but it is a bit better. I have been told by many customers.

It works better than our product, that's why we carry it.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Stoopidbot, I will check it out.

Always looking for better products on my truck too.
Does it leave an oily film that will attract dust. That is a problem I find with alot of the exterior trim stuff.....and I ride in alot of dusty conditions.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

No, this stuff is water based. The stuff that is silicone based is what attracts dust.

Quick Reply: cleaning atv