Old 02-22-2001, 11:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after my xr400 stolen i've decided to change to
an atv so i can haul sleeping bag,tent etc. a
400ex is more my style but the area i ride in
is very technical (gnarly rocky hills,etc.) and
afraid the sprocket & disc will hang up on some
of the rocks. i have narrowed down to three machines- foreman 450s, rancher 350s and yamaha
kodiak. i like riding fast in tight trails and
jumping. if you can help in any way thanks.
loafie

Old 02-23-2001, 09:40 AM
Range Rover

LOAFIE,
CHECK OUT SOME OF MY POSTS AND ALSO REPLIES IN ANY RANCHER TOPIC. I TALK ABOUT THE RANCHER AND KODIAK AND HOW I DECIDED.
HOGMASTER aka HENNYHOG

Old 02-23-2001, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DUDE!

if you're used to riding an xr400 and enjoy jumping... DO NOT get a 4x4 or utility quad!

You were right, you need the 400EX, you can get a heavy-duty DG full skid plates for it to make it bullet-proof, and then you can get a rack for the back... that way you can still rage and jump like you used to on your bike, but you can still carry stuff and handle the tough terrain like the 4x4's

Believe me, you can go anywhere a 4x4 can (except for mud bogs), you just have to do a little more thinking and tackle the obstacle (hill, log, stream crossing, mud hole, etc.)more aggressively

I'm not gonna say you'll get bored with a 4x4, but you'll have more fun with a sport-quad.

believe me, I know, I grew up on dirt bikes, 2 years ago I bought a Suzuki QuadRunner 4x4, and sold it for a Honda 250X... Sport Quads are by far the most fun... they are the perfect compromise between a dirtbike and a 4x4.

Old 02-23-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Changing from a 400xr to a utility 4x4 will disgust you!! Don't do it. If you do some rock crawling, I'd rahter get a Suzuki QuadMaster (Quadrunner?) 500 or Arctic Cat 400 (or 500), with simili independent rear wheels, real 4x4 (the Polaris 4x4 isn't good for rocks, and except the Rubicon, Honda diffs are open as well as Yamaha).
This (in my opinion) would be the most adapted machine...not the most thrilling though.
If you want sport, jumps, powerslides...get a 400EX (since it's what you seem to want as sport quad), put taller tires (like Holeshot xcts -22" rear 23" front), a heavy duty underbelly total skidplate...and hang on. You will have a slightly harder time in rocks (the comfort of the 400EX is awful...but being a "mxer", you should stand up all the time).
I frequently get hung up with my shee, but it's always easy to get unstuck.

Old 02-23-2001, 01:12 PM
Range Rover

Give the Scrambler 500 4x4 a test ride also. I have found my bike to be great for all of the reasons you state you want in your message. I have had no problems on rocks so far but have to admit we don't have huge farkin' boulders here in Tejas for me to really test the thing out. 4x4 is a must have for me and I have no problem keeping up with any hi-per bike where we ride and I just chuckle every time we have to use reverse and they have to use the old-fashioned hoss method lol) The Scram rips on the trails and loves mud bogs. The Scram will jump better than any utility quad but not as good as hi-per/sport 2WD ATVs.

I realize this is a Honda forum and if Honda is the only brand you will consider, then the 400EX is the way to go. Yeah, some obstacles will be more difficult i.e. rocks, mud etc., but those EX's handle great. I haven't seen many with racks but I am sure it can be done.

Take your time and make sure you get what you want dude.

Regards,

MrMan