Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

spent the day on a different ATV

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to try out a Bomb 400 max xt (the two seater).

Overall, it was pretty powerless, but the extra lenght was less of a drawback to nimble handling and tight trails than I had expected. Its owner got hung up in the rocks, and it wouldn't move or spin a tire at full throttle in reverse or in low.

I thought the suspension, front especially, was WAY too soft. The thing would wallow, the front end dives in braking, and it was easy to bottom out.

I also really did not like the linked brakes.

The visco lock (or whatever they call it) was kind of strange. If you sat there for a second with 3 wheels spinning and didn't let off the throttle, it would suddenly apply power to the other wheel, and I mean suddenly. It could upset the apple cart if you were in the big rocks.

I was kind of hoping Spectra would post a review like that (I've heard some of these shortcomings have been addressed), rather than debating the merits of big machines...

Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by reconranger
In theory....yes! That is why it is so very baffling to me why they can't get any farther up the trail in deep snow than I can!!!
Maybe you ride with some folks that dont know ''how'' to ride their bigger bore ATVs? In Michigan, the smaller Rancher's with far less ground clearance dont fair out too well when compared to the bigger bore ATVs in the deep snow. I sure do agree with you that a good operator can make all the differance in the world though.

I remember a few years back when my friend Jeff, I, and other various friends were riding our ATVs the deep snow. Jeff and I owned the BRP 800cc ATVs.
The snow was heavy and deep. We come to a very large and steep snow packed hill. Jeff wound-up pulling most of the lower clearanced 4x4 ATVs up the hill with his 800.

Im not knocking the smaller bore ATVs because they are fun to ride at times. They are so nimble you can really knock them around on the trails. But at 52 years old, they just aint for me anymore.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...so the joke is on them and their clumsy expensive big bore pigs! .......[/QUOTE]

You kill me and without a doubt you have NO idea what you're talking about.

I am not a BRP man by any means but if you think your Rancher will follow that 800 2-up in deep snow you're dreaming.

I don't care if you do have a plastic skid plate and aggressive tires or not.

The jokes on you.

I realize that you are the most qualified and experienced rider on the forum but even YOUR skills can't make up for the lack of HP and ground clearance that your little Rancher lacks.

I've ridden in a lot of snow for a lot of years with a lot of different ATVs and different riders and the big bores are ALWAYS the ones that go the furthest in deep snow.

I don't think that you will ever understand that there is more than one brand of ATV and they are not all created equal.

Bring your little Rancher and watch the "big bore pigs" swallow it right in front of your eyes.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

2010 Suzuki 750 King Quad

Spent some time on this one today, very impressive.

The power steering is killer.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JeffinTD
I thought the suspension, front especially, was WAY too soft. The thing would wallow, the front end dives in braking, and it was easy to bottom out.

I also really did not like the linked brakes.

The visco lock (or whatever they call it) was kind of strange. If you sat there for a second with 3 wheels spinning and didn't let off the throttle, it would suddenly apply power to the other wheel, and I mean suddenly. It could upset the apple cart if you were in the big rocks.

I was kind of hoping Specta would post a review like that (I've heard some of these shortcomings have been addressed), rather than debating the merits of big machines...

I found the same problems as you did with the exception of the lack of power.

The only thing that I really liked was it was comfortable and the power.

I didn't like the nose diving and the "clunck" when the front suspension bottomed out.

Engine braking for a belt was OK.

When the front end does lock it is very aggressive and does like to pull from side to side at will and it is tough to steer at WOT with the front wheels locked.

I'm sure PS would help out with that.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by Specta
...so the joke is on them and their clumsy expensive big bore pigs! .......

You kill me and without a doubt you have NO idea what you're talking about.

I am not a BRP man by any means but if you think your Rancher will follow that 800 2-up in deep snow you're dreaming.

I don't care if you do have a plastic skid plate and aggressive tires or not.

The jokes on you.

I realize that you are the most qualified and experienced rider on the forum but even YOUR skills can't make up for the lack of HP and ground clearance that your little Rancher lacks.

I've ridden in a lot of snow for a lot of years with a lot of different ATVs and different riders and the big bores are ALWAYS the ones that go the furthest in deep snow.

I don't think that you will ever understand that there is more than one brand of ATV and they are not all created equal.

Bring your little Rancher and watch the "big bore pigs" swallow it right in front of your eyes.[/quote]

Not to choose sides on this debate but to add to what you said I used to be a DIE HARD Polaris fan (and I still like them) but have found if you venture outside the box you will quickly learn that if you just give another make/bike a chance you might just come away thinking very differently maybe even come home with a different brand altogether. ALL machines have there +and- and we all are looking for different things in a bike. We just need to find the one that works best "us" and ride! For the record when it comes to snow riding I will take a Polaris Sportsman any day as this is one area where the weight and 4x4 system of Sportsman works out for the good!!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our society has a "bigger is better" mentality. You build something "bigger", but not necessarily "better", yet folks still line up to drink the Coolaid (ok, maybe Coolant, in this case)!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

In some cases bigger IS better.

Time to change your oil.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

All I know is that my 2002 AC w/ 12in of ground clearance went further than my buddies Rubicon in snow (both had mudlite 26" tires). In mud it diddn't seem to make as big of a difference, actually I would say the rubicon was better in the mud.

I have not gone through much deep snow in my Rincon, but I would think my AC would still get the nod. That thing was amazing. Especially with the plow on the front. I could pick the plow all the way up and go through 2-3ft drifts no problem. Had too much fun plowing snow and making $45/hr. Those were the days...Now I have a real job. I did plow once with a Rubicon and kept getting it stuck trying to do the stuff I did in my AC.

Just my experience. That's all. Don't want to start a fight.

Wouldn't trade my Honda for anything, but other brands do make some quality machines.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reconranger
In yard deep snow, they don't get any further up the trail than my little Rancher does. In very technical terrain, I ride circles around them becasue I am way more stable....so I don't really get what the attraction is for these machines?????
In yard deep snow, I'll bring a snowmobile to the fight, thanks. Horses for courses.

Quick Reply: spent the day on a different ATV