Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher es shift recall??? Quick response please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken there rancher in for the shift plate recall?? If so, Does it shift any better? Any problems? Can you tell any difference?

Old 02-23-2001, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

I had mine done and It does shift better, its not an ES. The procedure is for them to stand the bike on the back rack and take the front of the engine off. I changed the oil as soon as I got it home and found the air filter saturated with engine oil. Just take a good look over the machine when you get it back

Old 02-24-2001, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

It wont shift any better unless your shift plate is already starting to break its just a beefed up part and as for fourtrax350 what hacks are you taking your atv to.

Old 02-24-2001, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

We have 2 Rancher FE atvs here and they both went for the update. I can tell you that yes it does shift a little smoother. Enough to notice. I was told by the dealer that some of the plates broke but the problem was they were bending out of shape and then not shifting properly or at all. He said he had seen them bent but never broke. He has not seen every one worked on in the world though. So some could have broke that he isn't aware of.

Old 02-25-2001, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

Michaud68

I took mine to a qualified Honda Dealer, NOT A HACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW WOULD YOU DO THE WORK????????
Call Honda customer service and ask them the procedure and get back to me. I called them.
GET INFORMED BEFORE YOU RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2001, 08:06 AM
Trailblazer

I am a factory trained honda tech and when I do that procedure I put the atv on my lift drain the oil and remove the clutch cover I do not lift the atv so oil will fill the air box thats stupid and to not clean it out before the customer gets it back is a hack trust me I have seen plenty of hack mechanics in this field you wouldn't believe the crap I have seen and I have seen 2 plates that have slightly cracked.

Old 02-26-2001, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

Michaud68: Your remarks about shoddy work are just the reason I'd rather do the shift plate swap myself, but so far according to my dealer it doesn't sound like Honda would go for that.
Is it necessary to remove either clutch to get at it?

Old 02-26-2001, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer

If you don't mind me asking, I'm planning on taking mine in, but didn't know if the procedure would require me to remove my skidplate prior to the dealer getting it.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 02-26-2001, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

I'm glad the authorized mechanic jumped in. See my dealer/service department hasn't seen them all.. It's good to know that it could crack though.

I have PRM skid plates on mine and they did not need to be removed. I asked that before I took it in only because I was the one that put them on there and I felt it would have been my fault if they were in the way. The mechanic said it wouldn't bother him if they are left on because he could do all the work from the side. Hope that helps.

Old 02-26-2001, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

Michaud68

Are you doing it in the time allocated by Honda? Do they cover the coast of the oil and do you change the filter? I called Honda Canada and had them tell me the procedure, she told me the outlined procedure was to stand the bike on the back rack, take the front of the engine off,.... Did this employee of Honda Canada lie to me?

Sorry for being harsh but you could have backed up you statment with some facts.

Quick Reply: Rancher es shift recall??? Quick response please!!