Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Removing carb for cleaning on a '2000' 350 Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing carb for cleaning on a '2000' 350 Rancher

My carb is in need of a serious cleaning and I have never done this before. It hasnt been run in a year and when it was parked last, fuel was coming out the overflow tube. My 19 year old nephew has moved in with my wife and I and I need to get this running so the kid has an outlet in his complicated life.

By any chance could someone share some info on how to do this or could you possibly point me to source allready written? I have no manuals.

Oh yeh...the choke cable. How is this attached inside the carb so I dont screw that up.

Any help or tips at all would be greatly appreciated !

Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum.

It might be worth a few bucks to score yourself a Hayes or Clymer manual, if not the factory service one.

Generally on ATV's a person removes the air box, the throttle cable, fuel line and overflow lines, the choke, and the band on the intake manifold to pull the carb.

Usually there is a nut where the choke cable attaches to the carb that you unscrew, then withdraw the end of the cable with the little barrel shaped part of the enrichment valve on the end from the carb.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Jeff, that sounds simple enough I guess.
The choke cable should just slide out then, I'll do that in the morning. Im hoping not to have to mess with the jets, would just a good blast of cleaner and air do the trick you think?
I also found a broken wire coming out of the back side bottom of the gear box, do you have any idea what this is? Is it a sensor of some sort?

Man I need a manual !

Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

As long as it has sat, I think I'd be for pulling the jets and the mixture screw.

It doesn't take long, and that way you will be sure to get it cleaned out well.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cleaned her all up and the float and the jets are like new now. The bowl had a lot of dried up tan colored dust and particles in it. I put it back on the bike and finally got it started.

Am I the first idiot to do this?

1. Remove carb and clean.
2. Reinstall carb.
3. Quad dont start. (hmmm what did i screw up?)
4. Get mad, Remove carb again, take it apart and check it just to say to self...looks right
5. Reinstall carb again, quad still dont start. It needs fuel...hmmm
6. Look down at the tank just to realize that it wasnt the carb you IDIOT , just turn the switch to the ON position !

Well any ways, I am happy to say that she fired right up and purred once she got some fuel down the throat. It would idle beautifully and sound great if gradually revvvvved but when I gave it a goose it bogged right out. I read here about fuel filters being clogged so I pulled the tank and found the filter. All these years and I never knew it had one because I couldnt see one. It was nasty looking. I hate that design and was thinking of just cutting in an in-line filter. It looks like that o-ring would seat good on the tank bottom without the factory filter in there.

Im hoping that with the new fuel filter and the cleaned out tank back on the quad it will roar again. I will probably just run the factory filter if it isnt a ton of money but so far I think Honda is making more off the parts then the machines !

A tiny little Oil Filter, Air Filter and a Plug... $29.00

Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have to wait till tuesday for the shop to open for the fuel filter. I picked up an in-line filter but its just too dang big to install so I will have to wait.

I have a wire in a boot that snapped clean off on the bottom of my quad that I am thinking is just a sensor of some sorts? Can I just tape it off or does it HAVE to be replaced?

This has been a great running machine for me and I really appreciate the help I have received here.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So it bogs when you give it throttle, even once it is warmed up?

I think you may still have a passage clogged somewhere. Make sure you blasted out the little ports that open into the bore, as well as behind all the jets.

I can't really see what that is in the photo.

Snagging a manual would really be worth while if you are going to keep the machine.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes it bogged down even when warmed up a bit. It would run great if I gradually gave it fuel but it didnt like much more. I dont know how much more cleaning i could do to the carb. It was all apart and sprayed good and I could see perfect light through all the jet ports. I'll know more when I get the tank back on. The filter was really clogged to the point of collapsing walls so if this dont help Im at a loss.

I cant tell where that wire goes as it disappears in a harness but it comes out of the back bottom side of the motor. That photo is looking up from the left side of the quad.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wire & boot is for the reverse switch .. Your ESP won't go into reverse without it connected ..

Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well that aint good ! It was barely hanging on and I wiggled it around to get a better look and it snapped clean off ! That definitely needs to be fixed then. It broke off pretty close to the end and I dont think I have room to splice. How is that attached inside? Im getting bad visions in my head.

Quick Reply: Removing carb for cleaning on a '2000' 350 Rancher