Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Buying my first trx 250r well maybe

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first trx 250r well maybe

So I found an 86 trx250r and the guy is asking $2200. It has not been powder coated and he is not sure if the engine has any upgrades. He bought it a year ago. To his knowledge it is the original engine. It does have bead lock rims and ESR pipe and silencer, dura blue swing arm and rear axel. I am just wondering about what you all feel about the price. And as far as the engine being the original. He said it has high compression and he said it is fast. Im going to check it out Saturday and wanted some advice on what to look for. I feel scared at the fact that it is 23 years old and I dont want to spend $2200 and find it to be crap afterwards either. Any advice please. I cant upload a picture right now cause im at work, sorry.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
2 strokes or 4

Welcome to the forum. First off 2 strokes are designed to be rebuilt often. they are far cheaper han 4 strokes to rebuild. There are alot of strong running 250r s out there so don't let the age deter you. Coolant bubbling in the radiator is usually a sign of a leaky head gasket. If you can do a comp. test. Stripped oil plug and stripped oil fill to holes are very common. Leaking gear shift shaft seal also common. Since it's never been powdercoated you can actually inspect the frame. Check for cranks by the lower motor mounts, The swingarm bolt mounts, and under the seat where the subframe meets. Test drive it on a paved street if possible so you can get the real feel of it, see if it tries to drift which could be a tweaked frame or bent a arm. With it stopped stand up and shake it side to side if it has play may need carrier bearings. Sit on it with it stopped make sure it dosen't feel like the subframe is bent under the seat. IMO 2200 isn't bad if it's in good shape. Good luck

Old 12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the fast reply. Ive grown up racing dirt bikes and I am no stranger to top end rebuild however The lower end is a chore and I am wondering if a 23 year old tranny is good for more years. Thanks for what to check for thats what I was wanting. What is the compression supposed to be and i will test it? I just dont want to have to sink money in it right after I buy it. My test ride looks like it going to me in the rain on pavement is that okay. Im new to ATV but not riding. Keep items to be checked coming. again thanks!! Ill post a pic in the morning for you all to see.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the machine. He is asking $2200. What do you think? I never paid that much for a 23 year old quad and seems crazy when I can buy an 03 or so EX or raptor 660 for the same price. Any thoughts please.

Attached Thumbnails Buying my first trx 250r well maybe-86-250r.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

I am trying to get $2,600 for mine. Their good quads, finding one with the stock piston in it is really rare. For that price you can't go wrong IMO, just make sure you have some open space to ride it because they haul @$$, all they wanna do is go. Mine will go neck to neck all my buddies new 450's. Mine is also 23 years old and has the stock motor in it so...just my 2 cents. Yes it might sound pricey for a 23 year old quad but keep in mind what exactly your buying, they are only going to get harder and harder to come by.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
2 strokes or 4

My owner's manuel for my 86' atc250r says 170 - 199 lbs. compression. Just cruise on the pavement I wouldn't go too fast, just enough to feel it out. I've never had any tranny issues but you are buying used so anything can happen. And you just can't compare a 250r to a 400ex or a raptor! It just depends on what you want, a daily rider it may not be the best choice, an every now and then ***** to the wall ride then go for it.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

buy it. they are incredible machines. the handling /balance is about as good as it gets on a quad.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer

An update. The quad is 2 1/2 hours away and I planned on a Saturday trip to see it. To my horror the bank drive through was closed Saturday morning so I could not get the money. So needless to say I did not go and look at it. Im gonna call him tonight to see if he still has it and I will try again this comming weekend. Oh I was so mad at my bank!!!!!! I should have got the money out friday, oh well live and learn.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

Well quad is sold!! Now Im looking at a 400 ex, starting new thread.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

Close to Michigan? Come get mine! It's really nice...

Quick Reply: Buying my first trx 250r well maybe