Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 400ex gas leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009 | 05:17 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda 400ex gas leak

First off this machine has been sitting for about 8 months. It was pulled out of the shed today. It is a 2001 Honda 400EX. We started it up today and noticed it was leaking gas. Then traced it to the tube. Guessing it is an overtube or something like that? Runs to the bowl of the carb.

We haven't pulled the carb off yet or anything but it definitely leaks. Not sure if it needs a rebuild or what?

Any suggestions? It runs good and starts good also.

Thanks.
HPI_Savage25

Old 12-20-2009 | 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HPI_Savage25
First off this machine has been sitting for about 8 months. It was pulled out of the shed today. It is a 2001 Honda 400EX. We started it up today and noticed it was leaking gas. Then traced it to the tube. Guessing it is an overtube or something like that? Runs to the bowl of the carb.

We haven't pulled the carb off yet or anything but it definitely leaks. Not sure if it needs a rebuild or what?

Any suggestions? It runs good and starts good also.

Thanks.
HPI_Savage25
Good chance setting for that long the float is stuck.....tap on the bowl with the handle of a screw driver to see if you can dislodge it. If that works, problem solved.

If it doesnt, pop the bowl off and check out the float and needle/seat.....sometimes the needle is worn but usually they just have a bit of debris in there not allowing them to mate correctly and you get overflow.

Something in that vicinity is your problem, most likely.

Old 12-20-2009 | 08:15 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yeah that is what we figured.

When we got it back to the house and I started taking the plastics off to remove the carb we let it run and it never did leak. I then put it all back together and pulled it to the driveway then it started leaking.

Not sure if I want to take it out for a ride or get a carb kit for it first. Might take it for a ride one time and see how it does.

Old 12-20-2009 | 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HPI_Savage25
Yeah that is what we figured.

When we got it back to the house and I started taking the plastics off to remove the carb we let it run and it never did leak. I then put it all back together and pulled it to the driveway then it started leaking.

Not sure if I want to take it out for a ride or get a carb kit for it first. Might take it for a ride one time and see how it does.
Might as well take it for a short ride.....doesnt sound like its going to hurt anything. I got my money on some debris between the needle and seat......im guessing a quick shot of air and it'll be good as new.