Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r Shocks

Hi, I have a couple questions to ask here.

I just recently purchased a 450r, and my buddy has a YFZ450. I noticed it seemed his shocks had a lot more travel, and seemed to be alot softer than my 450r's. The biggest notice is when he is front braking hard, the a-arms are completely horizontal. Whereas my 450r shocks hardly even come close to that. I've rode his bike quite a few times and love the way it handles and feels with the soft ride.

His shocks are competely stock according to the guy he got the bike from. The a-arms look really wide also compared to my 450r's. I hate how my 450r looks like a monster truck. I have the shocks set to the softest they will go. What can I do to get that soft ride. I mostly ride mx, with an occasional trail riding.

Does anybody have an explanation for this? Is it just the difference in bikes even though they are both stock or what?

Thanks to anyone who may answer this.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Hiya Skoalie, welcome to the forums.

If you ride MX you sure don't want them set to the softest. 450's need to be firm to handle the track. The YFZ A-arm's will appear differently because they are designed differently. They have a bend in the A-arm where the Hondas is straight.

If you want to improve the looks a set of aftermarket rims will widen the stance and make it look much, much better. My bro has a 450R and it was a much better look after he picked up aftermarket rims.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply Koopa.

I realise I don't want the softeft settings on the track, hehe. I just set them up to that to try to get the results like my buddy's 450. So, what is there I can do about the softness of the ride? Is there anything I can do besides dropping money on a new set of shocks? Or will wider a-arms make a difference. I don't mind a set of +2 arms, but shocks are just a little more than im willing to pay!

I was thinkin the guy I got the 450r from said it had douglas wheels on it, but im pretty sure they are stock.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

If it were me I would put money on new rims and tires before (if ever) messing with a-arms. You can get a couple inches that way. The YFZ's have a different feel all together. I think that's what you noticing. The seem wider and lower giving them a more secure feeling. It's what I liked on the YFZ over the 700.

Give the R some seat time and I think you'll get over what your noticing and love it. After a short time you won't feel right on anything else.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot again bud.

Thats what I did like about it, was the wide, low feeling. I had a Banshee I flat tracked alot, maybe thats where it came from! I considered wheel spacers, but don't think I trust them for the harsh riding/ramping we do.

I know rims have different offsets, my buddy has fake beadlocks on his, which I believe are douglas wheels from the looks. I noticed his brake arent hidden inside the wheels like my 450's. Im guessing thats the offset giving it the even wider look, which I want. Will the offset wheels lower it a little posibly?

I mean, I really don't have a problem with the feel overall so far except the high, non-wide stance.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

The 'shee's sure did sit low. The rode like a screaming Cadillac.
It won't lower it much if at all depending on what tire it has on it. After my bro put his Douglas rims on it made it much wider and it didn't seem like it sit as high and narrow.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

It still has stock fronts on it, that can't be helping.

Im definately putting ITP Holshots all the way around it hopefully on beadlocks. So, theres nothing I can do about the shocks besides new one? I thought I read something about revalving them for a more-"yfz450" type setup.

But, I appreciate you time alot, thank you again.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

put some yfz shocks on your 450r

Old 01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I actually considered that.. How well would they mount up on stock a-arms?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't worry about changing them. They are comparable to the point you wouldn't notice a difference. I think it's just the setup of the R that's bothering you.

Quick Reply: 450r Shocks