Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

still happy with the old Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a 95 TRX300 4x4 in the family. That thing is a tank. After 14 years we had to finally change the starter and tires. I do no know how many thousands of miles it has on it but she always starts and keeps up with my big bore units on the trails. They do not make quads like that anymore.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JRM
I too had issues with power with my rubicon in the deep stuff, high range lugged when trying to ride up ontop and low range reved out to fast, i ended up stayh in low range ESP 4th gear most of the trip.
Here is a pict of last winter:

And it still fetches firewood from the lower part of my friends 5,000 acros better than any belt drive ATV- locked in 1st low range up crazy nasty trails pulling doubble trailers- yeah i didnt take my iphone on that trip- then down the pavement about 2 miles at 40mph floored to my home- and yes that tire has 35 psi in it- there are 40 25lb pieces of wood in that trailer-or 2 entire 40' tall alder trees, nearly the same load of wood my toyota can handle I perfer not to take my freshly waxed truck down that logging road and the rubicon does amazing

I've pulled that kind of weight many times up in VT with my belt drive. Just got to leave it in low and not be shy about throttle. 1500 miles and not a complaint yet. Although, going down 40 degree slopes gets old with that kind of weight. I just stay on the brakes. It takes me two heaped loads to fill up the 3/4 ton GMC. It's great to have quads that will do that kind of work. I used to get the truck as far in as I can and wheelbarrow the wet firewood to the truck. With a bad disk in my back and bad knees it's been a godsend to have the quads.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that is a a load of wood on the trailer. How well does it handle that deep snow?

Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Awsome.. 11K miles.... That is very impressive..

Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gave it a long over due bath today.

This last week is the first time we've had temps over freezing for more than just a few hours during the day in a long time.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Is it wearing Carlyle ACT's? Pretty darn good tire for the money, same tire as the PXT's that we're stock on my 500HO. I liked them alot.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

That is awesome. I hope we have our 2005 Rubicon for that long. We have about 7600 miles on it now. Will not be long before I catch up to you.

As far as reliability is concerned, I am not too happy. Pretty soon it is going to need some engine work. It seems it needs a new cam chain. The engine was making a rattling noise so we installed a new cam chain tightener and that solved it for about a month and the noise came back.

I wish they would come out with EFI for the Rubicon. It is killer starting it in real cold weather, I am talking like 10 to 20 degrees. Man these things are cold natured. Even in 40 to 50 degree weather, it takes forever for it to warm up.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:59 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

I took mine up in -10F weather above sand point idaho during a huge aritc outbreak this december, 3 pushes of the prior and full choke it fired right up after sitting outside in the wind all night- I had amsoil 0w40 oil in it and after 5 minutes rode off with zero choke with no issues- but i do agree, EFI rocks
As for your cam, i do remember some 04 and 05's haveing faulty cam berrings that fall apart. I would PM hondamechanic asap
Mine doesnt take any time to warm up, it runs perfect above 50f as when some kids smashed our mailbox at midnight i jumped on the rubicon- fired it up and instantly floored it in d1 and rocked to 53mph and got there plate number in seconds. The quad ran just like it was fully warmed up on a 80f day

Old 02-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
Is it wearing Carlyle ACT's? Pretty darn good tire for the money, same tire as the PXT's that we're stock on my 500HO. I liked them alot.
Yes they are ACTs. I just put them on a month or so ago and I am VERY impressed and pleased with them.

I was afraid that they wouldn't hold a candle in the snow to my Big Horns but every time we ride I'm impressed with the way they perform in DEEP snow, wet, dry, or packed and I am very pleased with the way the handle the corners at high speed on dry dirt roads.

Excellent tire so far.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by angler
I wish they would come out with EFI for the Rubicon. It is killer starting it in real cold weather, I am talking like 10 to 20 degrees. Man these things are cold natured. Even in 40 to 50 degree weather, it takes forever for it to warm up.
Sorry to hear that your having some troubles with yours.

I really have no issues with cold starts either. When it dips into the minus like JRM I push the primer button 3-4 times, pull the choke and it fires right up. This morning with the temp being about 35 degrees I won’t even need the choke and it will fire right up and idle till warm.

With the Hondamatic trans it's important to let the oil warm up a bit before driving in any weather, even in the summer.

I'm sure that this sounds dumb but ours has run soo good regardless of temperature or altitude I see no reason for fuel injection. If it has a problem you're definately walking home.

Quick Reply: still happy with the old Rubicon