Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

still happy with the old Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is awful in cold weather. Even at 30 to 40 degrees, I have to crank for several seconds with the choke pulled out. And once it does start, I have to keep on the gas and it will sputter like crazy. It will not even think about idling for a while.

I think part of it has to do with the gas we use. I don't think the gas is very good quality. We live on a dairy farm so we get diesel and gas delivered to us and the gas sits for a while in the tank. So that could be a big part of it.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

I never have had any carb issues on any of my engines be that atv, dirbike or chainsaw either, but i beleve thats because I use non-ethonal fuel and use sta-bil. Given that, my friends always use E-10 fuel from urban fuel staions and never drain there carbs--- and thats when i get a call saying there stuff doesnt run right or there carb is always leaking. This is where high pressure fuel injection rocks, no fuel gum can stand 30,000 psi and stuff just works for years and years with no issues such as my old toyota (seen in the pict above) that I let sit in the back of my shop for over a year and it fired right up.
Honda EFI systems are closed loop programed, this if something happends other than a complete fuel pump failure it will go into limp mode and make it back to camp, but honestly its a million more times reliable than most parts on current rubicon such as the angle sensor.
Joe

Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

here is a quick video i just shot, rubicon had not been started in about a week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1By7PBdi0

Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRM
here is a quick video i just shot, rubicon had not been started in about a week

YouTube - No choke.MP4
Mine starts just like yours does.

The thing that amazes me it that mine still has the original battery in it and it will fire it up even in sub-zero temps, but ot better start right up. LOL

Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

Yup, OEM battery from 2-27-01 in mine too- hmm, its about to turn 9 good excuse to have the wife bake a cake, i just use a trickle charger to topp it off if it sits more than a month. My 1986 TRX200SX is on the same AGM yuassa battery I installed in it back in 1994!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

I see Yuasa has a new high output battery out now.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

well im bummed, the new 2011 Rubicon is public and is unchanged- just added power stearing- same machine from 2006 other than that... I hope they make a new HO model to compete with the kawi and suzuki since the Rubicon is back unchanged and they intend to keep the Rubicon for farmers or for people not intrested in high power and great trail performance

[url=http://hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/5381]Honda Media Newsroom Release: American Honda Announces Four Early-Release 2011 Models[/url

Key words
2011 Honda Rubicon
2011 Early Release honda ATV's

Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

They called it dated back in this 2007 500 and put it in last place over it. shootout.500 Class Clash | ATV Magazine Online

While it handles well in most trail conditions, the suspension and brakes are badly in need of an update, regardless of how many Rubicons are sold. It would also benefit from a driveline upgrade to a locking differential to pull it through what its bottom-of-the-class ground clearance cannot.
It goes more for all the Honda Utilities except the Rincon.

If the Plastic was off my 2000 450 Foreman and a 2009 Foreman you would hard press to tell them apart. Honda is very slow to change on Utility ATV but not there sport ATVS.

Honda did not offer selectable 2wd/4wd until 2003 or 04 while others had it in 1996, the wait for diff lock and rear disk brakes seem even slower.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JRM
I too had issues with power with my rubicon in the deep stuff, high range lugged when trying to ride up ontop and low range reved out to fast, i ended up stayh in low range ESP 4th gear most of the trip.
Here is a pict of last winter:

And it still fetches firewood from the lower part of my friends 5,000 acros better than any belt drive ATV- locked in 1st low range up crazy nasty trails pulling doubble trailers- yeah i didnt take my iphone on that trip- then down the pavement about 2 miles at 40mph floored to my home- and yes that tire has 35 psi in it- there are 40 25lb pieces of wood in that trailer-or 2 entire 40' tall alder trees, nearly the same load of wood my toyota can handle I perfer not to take my freshly waxed truck down that logging road and the rubicon does amazing

How much snow are yoou guys in when it lugs? Just wondering bc I've just got a little rancher 400AT and was out playing over the last couple weeks and our deepest snow fall was only 11" but had some serious wind that caused monster drifts; and i didnt have any problems with mine bogging down in auto or esp (pending gear selection), but it also has the cvt... so I dont know if that had anything to do with it or not. The only problems i had was hitting too big a drift and loosing momentum and traction... I did hit a 6' deep drift going down hill at 25mph and made it through that. Like I said i was just curious bc you have a fair bit more power than my rancher.... by the way thats a hell of a load, Idk if the rancher would pull that much that fast...I did pull 2 cars in the shop 3 days ago on our blacktop parking lot with 2'' on it, I was impressed....Name:  wheelerstuck.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  11.4 KBName:  scowwheelerside.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  14.3 KB

Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
the wait for diff lock
I don't do the mud thing so I don't understand the issue with the brakes.

I doubt that we will ever see a front locker in a Honda.

The only improvement I would like to see is more power.

Quick Reply: still happy with the old Rubicon