Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Clutch/Gear issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Gear issues...

Hello All... This is my first post... so i hope it's a good one... been reading the posts on this site... seems vey helpful... But here's my problem.. hopefully i'll get the advice i need... I just picked up a 2004 400EX.. It was'nt perfect.. but for the money... 100% worth it.. But anyways.. test drive... ran great... took it out riding.. mixed sand pits/wooded trails... right now have snow to deal with.. took out a couple more times... ran fine... Let me buddy do a test drive.. trying to convince him to put his dirt bikes away and get a wheeler... but last night i worked on it... fixed most of my problems.... Rear brakes... start/kill/light switch had to be replaced... added hand guards... airfilter.... But today when i went out riding... seemed my clutch was a bit off... also..... when in gear and ripping on the throttle... it would seem i would not accelerate... gradual increases in throttle seemed fine... Now i know i can adjust the clutch.. tho i am not sure where... also.. is there anyway i can check to see how much life is left on my clutch??? or do i just wait for it to blow?? anything else i can check for??? also... if i need to replace the clutch... whats a good one??

Sorry for being so long with this... hope someone can help me...

Thanks guys...

Old 02-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

OK, first off you replaced the air filter, did you remove the stock filter and put on a Uni or K&N filter? If so you may need to rejet your carb.
The clutch is adjustable in two places, you can adjust it at the perch and you can adjust it at the mount on the side of the engine. This is where you adjust it so that you have some free play in the clutch lever when it is released in gear. If you don't have any freeplay in your lever your clutch never fully engages and will wear it out fast.
If you feel the clutch in wearing out, buy all means replace it. Unless you like the prospect of it burning out completely when you're out on a ride.
I put a Tusk with heavy duty springs in my 450R. My next clutch will be a Barnett or Hinson.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

IT was a Moose Racing Filter... tho i neve realized that it was a two piece filter... so i guess i just did the prefilter... would that really be enough to screw with the jets?? The engine runs great... really does.. just seems the clutch is screwy... I'm thinking because my buddy has never riden a quad i figured maybe he just burnt the **** out of it.. and now i need to adjust it.. I'll have to go and see if i have the freeplay or not.. Thanks for the tips tho....

Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

If you just put the prefilter on you have leaned out your engine and it would hurt acceleration, not to mention the possibility of running way too hot and burning out your topend.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

Ok.. help me on this.... when i do the adjustment on the side of the engine.. In which direction to i want to go? and how much free play is reccomended???