Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Jet kit install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet kit install

Wondering if anyone can tell me how difficult it is to install these jetkits. I have an 05 500 rubicon and a 04 400 4wd as well. we are a long way from a reputable dealer and its hard to be without them for the length of time it takes to haul them 6 hours each way plus the shop time. (usually 2 weeks here)

Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

It depends on your mechanical abilities.

It is not a hard process, just tedious. In most cases you will have to remove the carb, to get at the bowl, to where you can get to the jet, to remove and replace it with the bigger jet...and that's not including the removal of body panels in some cases.

If you have a factory service manual, it can make it much easier for the inexperienced mechanic to accomplish.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am quite capable mechanically and the body panels come off easy enough. Hoping maybe another reader might have diagrams of procedure (anything better than included instructions) because as I said earlier its six hours to a place I could buy manual

Old 03-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default jetkits

Originally Posted by rodh68
Wondering if anyone can tell me how difficult it is to install these jetkits. I have an 05 500 rubicon and a 04 400 4wd as well. we are a long way from a reputable dealer and its hard to be without them for the length of time it takes to haul them 6 hours each way plus the shop time. (usually 2 weeks here)
just get out of the wind, kitchen table with no distractions or cats jumping the table, good light and glasses and time to not be disturbed. The manuals will tell you to reassemble in reverse order so they dont really help. Exploded carb diagrams are all you really need. you do NOT want parts to go flying so I use a piece of small fuel line to mouth blow thru the jets and internal passages. Last night I had a known working carb and my bad one both underwater and blew thru all the jets in the good one and it showed bubbles in 3 spots and the bad one bubbled in only one so even if the jets are clean and see thru, doesnt mean the internal passages are clear. then you can go outside with some carb cleaner with the little straw and blast them out and recheck under water. Warm water makes it nicer and wont hurt them. Just blow and dry them when yer done I use shindy kits (20 bucks)because they are the oem mfg guys aftermkt kits are only a buck or 2 cheaper and not worth it in the long run

Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

I just did my 04 400.... Was not too bad... the instructions tell you how to deal with the carb... But This is how i did it...
Front plastics come off... fuel tank comes off... or just sit in a fashion that it won't fall... Take the top cover off.... take the side panel off... don't lose any screws.... lookig down from the top... you'll see a rod on the front side with 1 screw in it... take it out... then look down the big hole you'll see 2 more screws.... take those out.... now with your hand flip the whole assembly towards the front of the machine.. you should now be able to take the plunger out... and then you'll find the needle.... swap the needle out if you have one...start putting the pluger back in... and then the 2 screws... now for the 1 screw that you took off when you first opened the carb... on the right side where you took the side plate off... push on the rod that the screw went in... save a bit of frustration.. after that's all set... make sure everything moves as intended... replace the covers.... now if you were able to get the carb out the next step will be very easy... watch out for fuel in the carb... take the big nut off the bottom... and look inside and you'll see the jet... swap them out... and replace the nut.. then after locate the mixture screw... set as needed... and then put everything back together... make sure everything is where's it should be... as in Air intake ducts.. fuel lines... and anything else that you had removed... put the machine back together... and make sure everything works..

I think i got it all.. i might have missed something...