Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon VS Brute Help Me Decide

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010 | 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am looking as well for reliablity as well as being able to do a range of things. I have been looking at the Rincon on these post and a few others. I now fear the lack of low end power may not match my needs. I have buddies riding 660 Grizz's but trail riding is about all they do, as well as some plowing in the winter.

I don't expect to trail ride more than a couple times a year (but don't want to get blown away when we do) but also want to plow and have some acreage that always needs some logs dragged or cleaned out. Has anyone put a plow on a newer Rincon?

I've liked what I've read about the ride of the Rincon but not the power. I'd also like to to fuel injected for simplicity reasons. I had liked some of what i had seen on the Brute 650 but it only comes with a Carb?

I know there is no one perfect bike out there or they would all be making it. I like honda's reliabilty and from what I have been reading in these post, Yamaha is pretty much right there as well. I'm sure something around a 550 would be big enough but hey, I am a guy, a little bigger wouldn't be bad. Also something in an automatic would be preferable.

Old 12-05-2010 | 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Alrighty then...Now for my 2 cents.. I would never recommend an IRS for any real farm work.

If its just a little work here and there then you will probably be ok with IRS.. the ride quality on a IRS for trail riding cant be beat but as you said you wont be trail riding much at all. reliability is also an issue with you and an IRS does have more problems than a straight axle machine. Torn boots worn out Cv shafts stuff like that.

I would also never recommend a brute force ... I had two of them.. yes the power is what sold it to me and i fell victim to the speed bug. The reliability is the worse I have ever experienced in anything I have ever owned with a gas engine LOL.

I think the RINCON can and will do what you need it for..it can do some work but thats not what that machine was intended for. people always say it doesnt have low range so therefore it cant do any work? Granted the low range would be nice if you were using the thing for primarily pulling really heavy loads but if you wanna pull a sprayer and yank a log out of the woods from time to time trust me it will do it.

I think you would be equally happy with the 500cc rubicon. It is basically bulletproof. It's a great workhorse and its a good trail bike..

Old 12-05-2010 | 03:46 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The rincon's tanny is not ment to be worked. YouTube - ATV Television QuickTest - 2005 Honda Rincon 650

Old 12-05-2010 | 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

The very best atv for farm work is the Polaris ATP or X2.

Old 12-06-2010 | 09:59 AM

i agree with knowsalot and would reccomend the straight axle 650 brute force. much more reliable then the 750 and the same price as a rubicon

Old 12-06-2010 | 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

I put my Rinnys tranny through the ringer constantly with things that are alot more abusive than say pulling something behind it slowly. It basically loves it.. I will agree for serious work it is not the machine to get.

On a side note getting a SRA brute 650 over a Rubicon for anything except a straight line drag is kinda nuts.

If you want a reliable machine the last thing you need to be looking at is any of the V-twin Kawasaki Quads.. I know someone is gonna say they have one and it was great. I had two only because i thought the first one I bought was a lemon. Basically the only good thing on those is the power while it lasts ohh and the brakes are really good too.. not trying to joke honestly.

Old 12-06-2010 | 10:58 AM

have you owned a 650? from what i read you had 750s, which do seem to have gremlins, but not the 65o... so i guess anything that says brute force on the tank is gonna be trouble... good logic

Old 12-06-2010 | 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

I had a prairie 650 same bike basically it was terrible... You know you can disagree with people opinions without tryin to attack them personally. You should try it.

Old 12-06-2010 | 01:23 PM

wheres the attack? yes my response was directed at you and it was my opinion. what was so terrible about the prairie? i hardly ever hear of problems with them... i hear more about the rubicon's angle sensor going bad in the tranny... im sure being a hona nut you've heard of it

Old 12-06-2010 | 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Uhhh lemme count the things on a prarie... They overheat,suck up water when you hit a big puddle,the boot between the carbs and motor get loose and sucks crap up, the 4x4 actuator is a joke you actually have to put in 4x4 before you get into any type of trouble if your getting stuck and then put it in if the back wheels start to spin you hear a horrific grinding in the front. the belt system on them is the worst in the industy. Constantly having to adjust the shift linkage so it stays in gear properly if neglected ruins the tranny in record time. The lever you pull to engage the diff lock is retarded. ... Uhhhh ohh yeah two count'em two blown out and leaking front diffs.. i could basically go on forever all these things happened to me...The only thing it did was go fast in a straight line. it had potential to be the coolest 4x4 atv ever but was such a POS that no amount of HP could redeem this thing.

Quick Reply: Rincon VS Brute Help Me Decide