Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 10:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BY THE WAY THATS A 33% GAIN IN HP

Old 03-01-2001, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

I would highly recommend a 440 kit. I have probably 40hrs on mine and have had no problems. I would highly advise you to have the kit installed by a professional. Anyone can bolt on parts but it takes a pro to package the right parts, that work well together, and tune that package to its full potential. Granted there are some who can pull off a quality install themselves, but they are few. That is why you have those that arent really happy with their 440 and dont know why. It is because they tried to save a few bucks and installed it themselves or just picked random parts out to make up their kit. Do research, look at what is out there as far as cams, pistons, pipes, etc., talk to people who know what works on these specific machines. Just because someone has mechanical ability doesnt mean that they know what parts make good reliable horsepower on a 400ex. That is why I choose to have a professional engine shop with ALOT of 400ex experience put my bike together. I have not regreted any of the work GTT has done to my bike. If anything the more research I do and the more people I talk to on the web the more I realize just how good Lazarus at GTT really is!

I love the kit and it is a rocketship compared with the stocker. The original 440 kit with the stock carb made 40hp on the dyno (pg. 8 of the GT Thunder catalog, www.gthunder.com, that is my bike). I just recently picked up my bike from GTT again after some full race port work and a 41mm FCR carb install and it makes 45hp (dyno run should be on GTT website soon). I run 11:1 Wiseco on good (Shell)93 Octane with no problems. That is straight pump gas I dont add anything! I cant believe the number of people I see on this site and others saying that you have to run race gas with a 11:1 piston. It is not true! You do have to run race gas with anything higher than 11:1 though.

I am very happy with GTT and have no problems with them or their work. They are good people and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a quality machine. They arent cheap, but the best never is! Later.

Clint

Old 03-02-2001, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

clint may be right. i have'nt had any work done buy gt. thunder so i can't really judge them. i'm very happy with mine so far. once it's completely broke in and i can get on it, i will really find out.

Old 03-03-2001, 11:34 PM
Air
Pro Rider

The Hard starting problem starts with the rev kit it is off a kickstarted machine and when the temp gets low the starter drags too much. Try jump starting it. Also turn out the idle circuit 3.5 turns total. Also LRD has a higher amp battery to solve the problem.

Old 03-05-2001, 01:53 AM
Trailblazer

I love my 440EX. As far as reliability, I haven't had one problem in the 9 mo. since it was done. The only problem myself and a friend have had is trying to keep the clutch from slipping. Mine was done at CT's boring and machine in SC. They ran an ad in DW until a month or so ago. The work was exceptional and they stand behind it.

GOOD LUCK FUTURE 440 OWNER

Old 03-06-2001, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

My is great Too, 6 months, No problems at all.

Just do it.

Old 03-13-2001, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

How much did you guys spend on all the mods and the labor?

Old 03-14-2001, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

You can spend well over $2,000.00 if you need everything, (pipe, carb, valves, etc...) It depends mostly on how fast you really want to go. LRD Performance dyno tested my 440 @ 46 H.P. I'm running 13:1 compression, full race cam, oversized valves, 39mm FCR carb, full race pipe, etc...... The investment was well worth it. It now moves my 210lb. butt easily.

Old 03-17-2001, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

What is the averavge hp you make with a 440ex kit? I was looking at the CT 440ex kit and one made 45hp and the other 39hp.
And do you have to run race gas in them?

Old 03-18-2001, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Clint, you seem to know alot about gtt and i was just wandering if you could help me out, I know the kit 440 kit is $500 installed, and a custom pipe is $450. I guess that would make somewhere around 38hp and may even get the play porting for another $50. Would I still be able to run 93 octane?

I am a little bit leary of doing any work with gtt, I Ordered 3+3 a-arms from them (mine broke) about 4 weeks ago. Guess what, they havnt came in yet. Seems like they dont quite have it all together. I call them about twice a week, get a different exceuse everytime. This weeks was "accidentally got shipped to georgia, we will ship them to you on tuesday."

I am still wanting a 440 kit, but i dont just want to go blow some money, I want a quality, dependable, fast, and relitiverly cheap. Please help.

Quick Reply: Owners of 440exes I have questions