Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

86 Honda 4 trax 250 Wants to bog out and stall

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Honda 4 trax 250 Wants to bog out and stall

Hello, I have a 86 Honda 4 trax 250. It wants to bog out and stall on hard throttle. I have checked and cleaned the tank shut off and there is plenty of fuel coming out. If I put my hand over the carb during hard throttle it will keep running. It really seem to be running lean. My next step is to take the carb off but I want to see if anyonr kmow where to look. Any ideas woud be great.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

need to clean your carb! Check your jets,could be a coil (spark) problem.Look at your spark plug

Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by KK1058
Hello, I have a 86 Honda 4 trax 250. It wants to bog out and stall on hard throttle. I have checked and cleaned the tank shut off and there is plenty of fuel coming out. If I put my hand over the carb during hard throttle it will keep running. It really seem to be running lean. My next step is to take the carb off but I want to see if anyonr kmow where to look. Any ideas woud be great.
I've got 2 of those carbs in my kitchen right now. Clean jets does NOT necessarily mean clean internal passages. I blew mine out underwater with a piece of fuelline and mouth pressure. On one carb, I saw bubbles and the other did NOT. Both had new jets. so I took the new jets back out and shot some carb cleaner thru them with that little straw and then the aircompressor. Now they both blow bubbles all over the place. I just Hate doing things twice

Old 03-29-2010, 04:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

after you clean the carb out you may want to check into a fuel filter that has a hard plastic case. i had the same problem on my 95 kodiak and to find out the fuel filter i put on was defective and the plastic nipples on it were soft and closing up under the little bit of vaccuum that was being created. i changed that and the quad runs great now..

Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by doughchvy1
after you clean the carb out you may want to check into a fuel filter that has a hard plastic case. i had the same problem on my 95 kodiak and to find out the fuel filter i put on was defective and the plastic nipples on it were soft and closing up under the little bit of vaccuum that was being created. i changed that and the quad runs great now..
Amen! I had a new fuelline and see thru filter BRAND new and then had to take the tank off for some reason and that filter NEVER had any gas thru it. I took the line off the carb and hung the line and filter from the tank into a gas can to drain it. NOTHING! huh? so I sucked and blew into the line and air moved both ways , hung it down again and NOTHING! how can air but not fuel flow. I even have a witness. Took the filter off and it poured out FAST. ..and yesm the little arrow was pointing the right way. Who cares, I just want the bike to run Eliminate stupid stuff one step at a time. New as in Brand New sparkplugs can do the same thing to us.