Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon stranded me 5 miles into first ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the 2001 - fourtrax350 4x4 have this feature? mine is manual and has a digital dash/computer

Old 03-01-2001, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Not that I am aware of. I will check the manual tonight.

Old 03-01-2001, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

It good to see the usual Polaris guys over here concerned about our Hondas! Plus they have so much positive information to add.

JRM,

Sorry, I tire of these idiot who pipe up all the time. Good luck on getting the Rubicon running right.

Old 03-01-2001, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

My first advice is find a new dealer or dont use one (thats what I do). Please send me an email to texmudder@ansley.net. I will scan the pages from the service manual for you. It does store the last 2 service codes in the computer like a car does. Then it gives you troubleshooting for the codes. Order a service manual and then go show the service manager at that place. Man dealers really tick me off.

Old 03-01-2001, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

The procedure I mentioned about should pull the codes for you. Trust me the procedure to reset the codes is longer than that!

Old 03-01-2001, 04:06 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

Texmud Please scan them for me I followed your drill you mentioned yesterday, I got a steady blink equal time off and on every 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off and it went on past 9 times until I shut the key off. Is this the "everything's OK" code similar to the pre 1995 GM code 12 and the fast blink of toyotas?

Old 03-01-2001, 05:57 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

98% sure I found the problem. Honda frogot to put the O-ring on the oil fill cap, I called the dealer yesterday and they put one on order and will be here in 3 days. It leaked a tablespoon or two every time i parked it. I didnt think this was to excessive as it holds darn near 6 quarts so I drove it and kept a eye on the level. Right after the quad stranded me I checked the oil and it read fine on a warm engine, but today on a cold engine it had the same problem again and I got a MPEG video of it that I will share with people responding in this thread. It read 2 quarts low! Yikes! I added 1.5 quarts and whola, problem gone and runs like a top. all due to a $1 O-ring Does anyone think running 2 quarts low (still had 3 in the engine) caused any engine damage? looks like the hondamatic noticed the low oil level and shut the engine down insted of overspeeding. Just wish the oil light worked for low level and not just high temp

Old 03-01-2001, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

You know, that does make sense. If for some reason the transmission noticed low oil pressure, it would be far better to not let the engine rev rather than cook the tranny! I saw your video, and your engine sounds EXACTLY like a 4 cycle Polaris does when the rev limiter activates.
As my shop teacher always said...sometimes the simpelest solutions will solve the most complicated problems.

By the way, I would recommend changing oil. If the oil level was low, there is a chance it overheated. Chances are it did not, but I wouldn't want to risk a several thousand $$ machine's life on a $10 oil change.
I wonder if you went to the dealer and made some noise, if they wouldn't put the o-ring in for you, and change the oil while they were at it??? You think they would, as I don't know how they would stop the old oil from running out with the plug out while they installed the o-ring.
Glad to hear all is OK.

Old 03-01-2001, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Glad to see you found the problem. I was about to mention maybe it was a rev-limiter -A parking brake sensor or something.

Old 03-02-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Glad to see you got the problem fixed. If the computer senses trouble it goes into "default" mode which is what the video showed. I did send you the instructions to get the code. If you need the procedure to get out of default mode let me know.

Quick Reply: Rubicon stranded me 5 miles into first ride