Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon stranded me 5 miles into first ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 10:33 PM
JRM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After logging 2 gentle hours and 15 miles on my rubie around the house to get the initial break in completed I headed out with a friend on his 400 Kodiak to ride sled trails. The rubi did great and has awesome power but 5 miles into my first ride on the sled trail we shut the quads off on (frozen) Clear Lake to take a break, upon re-staring I found my Rubicon would not move in any range, Reverse or any D1,D2 or ESP mode. All it did was misfire like choke was on and move at about .5MPH It seemed to limit the RPM to just above idle as it slightly misfired at 1/8th throttle and Very heavily (about every 20 revolution of the crank) when floored, just a thump...thump...thump is all I got. It idled fine but that's it. I had to be towed back by a sled as the Kodiak just spun on the crusted snow pack! Tried it again before loading it up and it runs fine now without a glitch. Anyone have an idea? I remember a post a while back about resetting the CPU when things get messed up. Any help would be great. Joe

Old 02-28-2001, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Should've got the Sportsman 500.

Old 03-01-2001, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Quadj**k, please, please, please, please just go away. JRM, I hope you get your problems worked out soon. I know that most Rubys have been bullet proof, but needing a tow with a new machine has to be one bitter pill.

Old 03-01-2001, 04:17 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

I will call the dealer in the morning to see what they can do. I searched the archives to find the drill used to clear the computer but came up with nothing. all I found is this: http://forums.atvconnection.com/thre...rigpost=179523
Quadfather, a frind is picking up a scrambler 500 so it will be intresting to see the differences.

Old 03-01-2001, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

I was just giving a little back to the Honda guys that constantly come into the Polaris forum and bash Polaris quads, although JRM ISN'T one of them, I couldn't resist. It just goes to show that no quad is perfect.

I'm sure the Ruby is a great quad. I've yet to see one in person, but I am looking forward to it.
One guy in our riding group has one, and has nothing but good things to say about it.

Old 03-01-2001, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

JRM, dont reset it!!!! First get the service codes off it. They will tell you EXACTLY what went wrong. The dealer should be able to pull these codes off. You should get a service manual so you can diagnose them yourself. If I remember the procedure correctly you hold town the upshift and downshift buttons, turn on the key, let go of the buttons, then press the buttons again for 2 seconds. The display will be solid for 2 seconds, then blink X number of times, then stop, and then they will blink X number of times for the second problem. If you can get the number of blinks for me I can get the problem from the service manual. I highly suggest you get one. They are $40 at http://www.helminc.com

Old 03-01-2001, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

If you are in the middle of nowhere, try shutting it off, waiting 5 or 10 minutes, then start up again. I have a friend with a Foreman with the fancy LED display that did wacked out on occasion. Somehow shutting it off made it work properly. I know it is only a display, and not a tranny control, but it could be the same sort of thing- it just needs another chance to work properly.
I would still have it checked out, though, even if it is working now.

Old 03-01-2001, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you sould have some water in your gas.
Try some heat or any other additive.
matty

Old 03-01-2001, 02:32 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

Good to know it stores trouble codes like the new cars to, I will let the dealer pull the codes and ask for a FREE service manual as it seems i will need one in the tool box as for water, not it because it was shipped full of gasohol 10%oxy fuel and i syphoned it all out and ran on reserve until it died then re-filled with strait super unleaded from chevron.

Old 03-01-2001, 03:32 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

just called the dealer, service didnt know anything about reading codes and that they have never herd about doing so. They told me not to bring it in since its running ok now as they cannot trace a problem that does not currently exist. anyone who knows how to pull (not clear) these codes please let me know.
Joe

Quick Reply: Rubicon stranded me 5 miles into first ride