Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

have to use a clutch on Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default have to use a clutch on Honda?

i recently purchased a diamond in the rough. 2007 honda trx 250. low hours. i'm unsure if i need to use the clutch on the left hand. i can put it in gear and go. i can then stop in gear and it won't die. i presume the clutch is for grabbing 1st and reverse and not for shifting 2-5 gears? i thought because it doesn't die when stopping in gear it was a centrifugal clutch. but this manual clutch has got me puzzled. thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you got yourself what some call a hondamatic. No actual clutch just shift the gears as you would on a bike with a clutch. The lever on the left should control your rear brakes. Also is there a button with an R on it. If so, to engage reverse you need to depress the button, pull the lever and down shift to drop into reverse then release lever and away you go backwards. then to go foward just upshift as normal and go. I'm not to familiar with the newer hondas but I would suspect not much has change from the older set-up. A standard type of clutch would die if you tried to come to a complete stop without pulling back the clutch lever.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well, thanks....gears 1-5 are all up. once back below 1st, what would be neutral, you grab a swivel switch below fuel tank on right hand side and push down on shifter for reverse. once you're through backing up, raise foot shifter up on back to "neutral". that's about as clear as mud, eh? anyway, all i can tell is that the left lever is also the parking brake but the lever grabs no brakes. just the right hand and right foot. i just don't wanna tear it up shifting by not using the left lever unless i have to. like stated earlier, it doesn't die in gear and at a complete stop. puzzling. thanks for the reply!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Thats just the way their designed. Makes it easy for just about anyone. I do find it odd that your left lever does'nt control the brakes at the rear. Have you traced the cables coming from it? Especially if it has a parking brake position on it which would set the rear brake. Like I said before I'm not up to date with the newer hondas but have a hard time believing that honda would drop the rear hand brake. I'd double check that if I were you to be on the safe side. You should see two lines coming down to rear brakes if in fact it does have a hand brakes. One to the foot lever and one two the hand. My brother has a honda trx 300 4x4 that acts like the left lever does nothing when out of adjustment or in need of some new shoes.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ReadyMixer169, thanks. i reckon i should've put it under a shade tree for me to come to grips with what i got. yes i have traced the cables. the left lever is a parking brake and a clutch(cable goes to transmission near the oil cooler hoses& the other goes to the rear as a parking brake). thanks for everything. you've helped me out.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 PM

I just got to thinking about it. Is your quad a sport quad or a utility like the recon? I think honda makes some of the sportys with a no stall clutch so you can put it in first gear without killing the bike but I'm unsure if the clutch is required throughout the rest of the gears. I assumed you were talking about a utility at first.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah, a sport. sorry for the mix up.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Check around here and look at the fich pics.
Motorcycle Parts|ATV Parts|Honda|Kawasaki|Suzuki|Yamaha|Dealer|Wholesal e Discount Prices
Not sure which bike you have but all the 2007 trx 250's shown have centrifigul clutch. If yours didn't it would die when stopped in gear. The cable going to the case is the reverse lockout. The one to the brake should apply the rear brake as well as provide parking brake.
At least it does on both of the TRX machines I have.
Jim

Old 04-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hold on a second guys. Some recent years of the 250EX had what was called a "sport clutch". This was a real clutch on the left lever. It could be used as a real clutch, or you could shift without the clutch as you guys are talking about. I am not quite sure of the specifics, but a honda dealership could tell you.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i appreciate the feedback. if you're interested, i've built an album for you to look at. sorry i haven't figured out how to put the pics in a post yet. anyway, i've left the descriptions under each photo. i really do appreciate the feedback. i just don't wanna tear up this machine. 2007 Honda TRX 250ex 2 wheel drive sport model not a utility model atv.

Quick Reply: have to use a clutch on Honda?