Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon won't drive.. But NO Error codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon won't drive.. But NO Error codes

So I had a concern with my 01 Rubicon b/c when I would stop completely and then pull out I would get a sound that resembled the sound of gears not meshing correctly...

However, once I gave it a little more gas the sound would go away and then I could drive perfectly.....

As long as I never came to a complete stop I never heard the problem or heard any odd sounds...

HOWEVER, this past weekend i took it out, it made the odd sound when i pulled out... I drove it down the road. I came to a complete stop then hit the gas.... the engine just revved but i didn't go.... i let off the gas and revved it again.. didn't move..... the third time it finally put to gear and I was able to drive home...

Once the atv started driving it runs and shifts fine.... however, it just won't start out to go initially.....

I have no error codes coming up...

ANY HELP or SUGGESTIONS??

THANKS ALL!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That sounds to me like a mechanical problem with the hydrostat unit, but I would also look at the sub-transmission.

HondaMechanic would be a good one to ask.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

I also wanted to say that i am with 99% confidence that the engine/transmission has not gone into lock out or locked mode... this obvious bc i was able to drive the quad back...

bust also because this is the second engine in this quad. the first was pulled when the original Hondamatic was ruined.... i took the engine apart to find that the Hondamatic was internally screwed up... but before that engine was taken apart, the quad would run but would never move... it would jerk forward a little but you could tell something was holding it back (i found out it was a jammed tranny)...

But this new engine and Hondamatic revs, i can hear what sounds like the clutch spinning (the sound, i think or as far as i can tell, is coming from the front of the engine in the behind the front engine case cover)... but it doesn't want to move forward.... but the sound is not one that indicates the engine is under stress or locked up.... just not engaging....

I had the idea of it possibly being the clutch... maybe it got burned since i am running 27" 589M/S... but i can't be certain of anything....

Thanks again guys!!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That does sound like clutch or sub-trans. The grinding sound you described earlier sounded more like the hydromatic.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

Any one else had or heard of this problem?

Also is there any other way to see if what may be the problem aside from taking apart the engine?

Thanks for the help!!